New ASU pharmacy offers extra perks

5n28p794
The Student Health and Wellness Center is expanding its pharmacy and will be opening a store Oct. 8. Cold medicines as well as shampoo products will be available for purchase.

Following the results of a student survey, a new ASU pharmacy will offer shampoo, protein bars and over-the-counter medicine.

The pharmacy, which will open Monday, is part of a $120,000 remodeling of the Student Health Center, said pharmacy manager Carl Labbe.

Students were surveyed during the summer on the products they would like the new pharmacy to offer, Labbe said.

“I got some bizarre suggestions ... a lot of requests for candy,” he said.

The pharmacy will provide retail products such as Pantene shampoo — the most requested item — vitamins, toothpaste and Tylenol. Met-Rx protein powder and creatine will also be available in conjunction with the Sports Medicine Department, Labbe said.

Some people have expressed concern about the pharmacy selling creatine, which is a supplement used to increase energy and hold water in muscles, but Labbe said that Met-Rx creatine is a pure product.

“At least we know students will be buying good creatine,” he said.

The pharmacy is planning on expanding to stock more prescription drugs as well, Labbe said. The pharmacy stocks 200 drugs, but now will stock 400.

Students come to the health center for many problems that do not require a prescription, said Gary Septon, chief of medical services at the health center.

“Over-the-counter medications are a convenience for students,” he said.

Septon also said that pharmacy prices are competitive and, with more medication in stock, products will be less expensive.

Labbe estimated that drugs from the ASU pharmacy were 20 percent cheaper than other pharmacies in the community. For example, oral contraceptives are usually $30 at a pharmacy, but $16 at the ASU pharmacy.

Mary Rimsza, director of the health center, said the new pharmacy would be a great service to students.

“Students will have products available on campus that they normally get at the drug store,” she said.

Jason Harrel, a public administration graduate student, said the pharmacy is a good idea but doesn’t think he would use it.

“I probably wouldn’t use the pharmacy because I don’t live on campus,” he said. “But it would be useful for full-time students.”

Beth Friddle, a business management sophomore, said she would go to the pharmacy even though she lives off campus.

“It would be more convenient, if the prices were good,” she said.

The pharmacy products will cost about $2,000 to $3,000 total, Labbe estimated. Both the new pharmacy and the remodeled clinic, which improved the waiting room, were funded by the Student Health Center.

“We are a rare campus entity that actually generates revenue,” he said. “It’s our rainy day fund.”

Last year the pharmacy’s gross revenue was more than $1 million.

Reach Jennifer Voges at

jennyvoges@hotmail.com.

×