Theta Chi party raises funds for cancer research, awareness

t9159vz8
rom left to right, drummer Mike Stewart, guitarist Matt Curry, vocalist Ray Villaruz and bassist Brett Bach of the band 10 Second Delay playing at a benefit concert for cancer research held Saturday at the Theta Chi fraternity.

An ASU fraternity had a different kind of party Saturday. Instead of the usual fraternity party, Theta Chi held an event that raised $550 for cancer research.

After all the donations are totaled, the amount may grow to $700, said Theta Chi member Dallas Ramirez, a recreation manager senior.

Theta Chi planned the event to raise not only money, but also awareness about cancer after one of their brothers lost his father to the disease.

"One hundred percent of everything we make is going straight to the American Institute for Cancer Research," said Theta Chi member Brian Schwartz, an information technology junior.

Schwartz estimated that about 130 people attended the fundraiser.

"(Turnout) was not as well as we expected it to be," he said.

The ASU football game and Game 6 of the World Series were both Saturday, which influenced turnout at the party.

"If the game wouldn't have gone on we would have made a lot more money," Ramirez said.

The non-alcoholic party featured two bands, Sixth Year Senior and 10 Second Delay, both members of the fraternity.

The fundraiser also shed a positive light on Greek life, Schwartz said.

"We're getting rid of the stereotype that fraternities and sororities just party," he said.

Theta Chi also handed out information about cancer from the AICR.

"The more you know about cancer the more you can do to prevent it," Ramirez said.

Reach Jennifer Voges at jennyvoges@hotmail.com.

×