The following is an update on where ASU football stands in recruiting offensive players with two weeks remaining until athletes can sign letters of intent at the school of their choice.

QUARTERBACK … The midyear signing of Palomar (Calif.) Community College junior quarterback Andy Goodenough cancels out the loss of two-year starter Jeff Krohn to the University of Massachusetts. Goodenough is eligible to participate in spring practice and will compete with sophomore Andrew Walter for the starting job.

The Sun Devils got lucky over the weekend when Scottsdale Saguaro quarterback Kellen Bradley rescinded his commitment to Oregon State and decided to attend ASU. Athletes who have committed are not bound to a school until signing a letter of intent.

The fortunate break made Phoenix Sunnyslope quarterback Mike Nixon's earlier commitment to UCLA easier to swallow. Bradley and Nixon are considered two of the top prep quarterbacks in Arizona, but Nixon will likely play safety for the Bruins.

Current status: The Sun Devils appear set at QB with Goodenough, Walter, Chad Christensen (redshirt freshman) and Bradley (freshman) in the fold.

RUNNING BACK … The Sun Devils have plenty of talent in junior Mike Williams and redshirt freshman Hakim Hill, but it never hurts to add a little depth. Loren Wade of Los Angeles and Randy Hill of Tempe McClintock will fill in nicely behind those two.

Current status: Running back is another position that seems taken care of with redshirt freshman Cornell Canidate and junior Derrick Arnold also adding more depth. Junior Mike Karney is a monster at fullback.

WIDE RECIEVER … ASU is down to four scholarship wide receivers after Ryan Dennard and Donnie O'Neal both graduated. Skyler Fulton defected to Skagit Valley (Wash.) College and Lance Rhodes left for Alabama-Birmingham.

None of ASU's prospects were receivers before this week, but that changed when Terry Richardson (Corona, Calif.) committed. Midyear signee Bret Hudson of Grosmont (Calif.) Junior College also played on offense in addition to staring at safety and cornerback.

Current status: This is a definite area of need, considering the multiple-receiver sets employed in ASU head coach Dirk Koetter's explosive offense.

ASU seems to be focusing its late push on Gerard Morgan of Texas, and has a solid chance at landing him. A more versatile player, such as Canidate or Williams, may be moved to receiver as a means of bolstering numbers.

Blake Mackey (Bakersfield, Calif.) is wavering a bit on his commitment to Colorado, and is now reconsidering ASU and Brigham Young. However, Mackey is considered a long shot.

TIGHT END … A junior college tight end would have been a nice addition, considering senior Mike Pinkard's inconsistent hands. Jamal Lewis (Colorado Springs, Colo.) is ASU's only commitment at the position.

Current status: Tight end is not a dire need for the Sun Devils. Junior quarterback Matt Cooper will probably assume the position during spring practice.

OFFENSIVE LINE … Graduation claimed five of ASU's top six offensive linemen, but there are a lot of young bodies to plug in.

Tim Fa'aita, a transfer from Community College of San Francisco, should step into a starting role during spring workouts, and El Camino (Calif.) Community College tackle Louis Areyan will join the team this summer. Zach Krula (Sacramento, Calif.) and Stephen Berg (Tucson Canyon Del Oro) have also committed.

Current status: Jake Bingham (El Cajon, Calif.) is currently debating a commitment to either ASU or Nebraska.

SUMMARY … The signing of Goodenough and Bradley's late commitment erased a big question mark left in wake of Krohn's departure. Goodenough was named a first-team junior college All-America selection after leading Palomar to the California junior college championship game.

Among the high school recruits, Wade and Hill are considered big pickups at running back. Berg is a solid offensive line prospect.

Koetter still has about five scholarships remaining. He will probably save a pair for defensive lineman Loren Howard (Saguaro) and Bingham.

Another scholarship will likely be set aside for Morgan. Any other scholarships may be saved for late pickups or for next season's midyear junior college transfers.

Reach the reporter at matthew.simpson@asu.edu.

×