The ASU football team lost about 20 seniors to graduation and has seen at least five players leave the program for other reasons since finishing the 2001 season with a 4-7 record.

That's a lot of roster spots to fill, but help is on the way.

Head coach Dirk Koetter is just two weeks away from signing his second class of Sun Devils. Due to the massive departures, ASU can ink as many as 25 players between Feb. 6 and the start of training camp in August.

The Sun Devil coaching staff also signed five junior college transfers, who enrolled in classes for the spring semester, after bringing in a small group last February. Those players count against last year's 25-player limit, but will be able to participate in spring workouts. Last year's defections hit ASU particularly hard at the offensive and defensive line, quarterback, running back and wide receiver positions.

The following is an update on where ASU stands in recruiting the defensive side of the ball with two weeks remaining until athletes can sign letters of intent to play at the school of their choice. Look for an offensive update in Thursday's State Press.

DEFENSIVE LINE … ASU's top four defensive tackles ran out of eligibility last season, and junior James Beal is unlikely to return after graduating early.

The Sun Devils need immediate help, and they should have it in Sacramento City College midyear transfer Shane Jones and Ali Likio of Euless, Texas. They also reeled in a big commitment Monday when Glendale Community College lineman Matt Mason picked them over South Carolina.

Defensive ends Ishmeal Thrower (Sacramento Community College), Nick Johnson (Chandler) and Ricky Parker (Los Angeles) have also committed. Thrower will join the Sun Devils for spring practice.

Current status: Scottsdale Saguaro's Loren Howard is a possible late addition at tackle.

Howard committed to Northwestern last week, but his brother, Phil, plays for the Sun Devils. Saguaro quarterback Kellen Bradley's weekend decision to come to ASU may sway his high school teammate to reconsider.

Athletes who have committed are not bound to a school until they sign a letter of intent. Los Angeles' Fred Matua is a long shot to play for ASU, but he has yet to announce his decision. Matua would be a major acquisition for the program.

If the Sun Devils aren't able to sign more defensive tackles, there's a good chance a player from another position could be moved to the line. Senior linebacker Solomon Bates could be a candidate for the switch.

LINEBACKER … ASU got its linebacker commitments early in Avondale Agua Fria's Mike Talbot and Phoenix South Mountain's Deandre Johnson.

The Sun Devils also landed speedy linebacker Jamar Williams of Houston over the weekend. All three players will add speed to the linebacker corps — something that was lacking a year ago.

Current status: ASU is probably done recruiting linebackers.

DEFENSIVE BACK … This position is not a pressing concern because so many young players saw action last season. Free safety Jason Shivers and cornerback R.J. Oliver are coming off Freshman All-Pac-10 seasons, and redshirt freshman Joey Smith will join the team from the practice squad.

Midyear signee Bret Hudson of Grosmont (Calif.) Junior College should be able to help out immediately at safety. Robert James (Phoenix Maryvale), J.W. Lucas (Glendale Cactus), Mike Davis (Los Angeles), Matt Fawley (Dallas) and Andre Bailey (Tempe McClintock) have all committed.

Current status: Recruiting in the defensive backfield is about wrapped up.

SPECIAL TEAMS … The Sun Devils lost punter Nick Murphy to graduation, but there are plenty of punters on the roster who can step in for him.

Long snapper B.J. Miller also graduated, but ASU still has senior Jay Breckenridge. Senior Mike Barth will return at place kicker.

Current status: ASU seems to be set on special teams, but a walk-on long snapper wouldn't be a bad thing to have around.

SUMMARY … Pass rush specialist Thrower and 280-pound tackle Jones should see the field immediately for the Sun Devils.

Koetter has to find a place for Hudson, who is considered a free safety, the position at which Shivers excelled last season. Other possibilities for Hudson are at wide receiver and at corner. Davis is the star among the high school commitments, and Likio is likely to play as a true freshman.

Koetter has about five scholarships remaining, and one of them should go to a defensive lineman. The most obvious defensive target remaining is Howard, who is currently committed to Northwestern.

Reach the reporter at matthew.simpson@asu.edu.

×