Usually when a franchise player skips town via free agency, his former fans are left with feelings of betrayal, even hatred.

But that wasn't the case when former Arizona Cardinal cornerback Aeneas Williams joined the St. Louis Rams prior to the start of this season.

After watching one of the NFL's top players dominate all season, only to miss the playoffs year after year, most hometown fans were happy to see him go to a team that was only a player or two away from a Super Bowl.

And just look at him now. He's back in the Pro Bowl after a one-year hiatus and is just a single win away from his first Super Bowl appearance.

It was a joy watching Williams shine two days ago in the Rams' 45-17 win over the Green Bay Packers. St. Louis will host the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC championship game this Sunday.

The 12-year veteran had seven tackles and returned two interceptions for touchdowns (a new NFL playoff record). Williams's first-quarter interception of Packer quarterback Brett Favre was a thing of beauty. Williams jumped on a route, and the gamble paid off when he returned a pick 29 yards for the game's first score.

Early in the third quarter, Williams stripped the ball from Green Bay wide receiver Antonio Freedman's hands like a seasoned pickpocket to cause yet another turnover. Williams found the end zone on the swipe, but officials ruled him down by contact after reviewing the play. Williams also scored later on a 32-yard interception return.

Both plays illustrated just how clutch the Southern University product is. He has five interceptions in three career playoff games. Unfortunately while Williams was in Arizona, he had so few opportunities on national television that most fans of teams outside the NFC East didn't even know who he was.

Now that Williams's team is on Monday Night Football every other week, he gains more and more exposure as the Rams plow through the playoffs.

A Super Bowl title would be the final touch on Williams's extensive résumé. And when the championship ring and a dozen years of defensive domination combine for a Hall of Fame induction in about a decade, the Cardinals' loss will be even that much sweeter for the fans Williams left behind in Arizona.

Matt Kee is an undeclared graduate student. Reach him at matthew.simpson@asu.edu.

×