The ASU men's golf team will compete in its first tournament of the spring today when travelling across the Pacific Ocean for the Taylor Made/Waikoloa Intercollegiate.

The three-day event runs today through Saturday at the par-72, 7,074-yard Waikoloa Resort in Waikoloa, Hawaii. The Sun Devils enter the spring season ranked No. 25 in the Golf Coaches Association of America Poll.

ASU sophomore Chez Reavie is slated to play in his first tournament of the year after missing the entire fall season with an injured wrist. He attempted to punch out of some tree mulch while practicing at the Raven Golf Club last September and injured his wrist when hitting a root in the ground with his club.

Reavie logged a 72.58 scoring average as a freshman. He finished in fourth place at last year's NCAA championships with a seven-under during the four-day tournament.

Other ASU standouts on this spring's team include seniors Brian Nosler and Tyler Erickson. They finished the fall portion of the season with scoring averages of 73.83 and 74.42, respectively.

Nosler recorded the team's only top 10 finish, tying for sixth place at the Tucker Intercollegiate. Erickson's best showing came in early November when he finished tied for 20th at the Long Cove Collegiate Invitational.

Sun Devil junior Brady Stockton and freshman Pat Moore should also be top contributors this spring. Both finished with a 74.83 scoring average last fall.

Moore played in just two tournaments, but notched a 37th-place finish at the NCAA Golfweek/Ping Preview. Sophomore Ben Flam, who sat out the entire fall season while on probation, looks to provide the Sun Devils with an added punch.

ASU failed to live up to the high expectations they were given in the fall. The Sun Devils struggled to get going after being ranked ninth by Golfweek. They didn't record a top 10 finish in the fall's first three tournaments. However, ASU ended on a high note by taking sixth place at the Long Cove Collegiate Invitational.

Reach the reporter at casey.pritchard@asu.edu.

×