Expo attracts future female police officers

a3s1d591
Stephanie Harding, one of two Tempe motorcycle officers, speaks to Valley residents at the first women in policing expo held in Tempe. The Saturday event gave female officers a chance to converse with other women interested in joining the force.

Amanda Novak dreams of becoming a part of the police force.

The 21-year-old justice studies senior said that after graduating from ASU she wants to become a police officer in part because of the job's possibilities and also because law enforcement is a part of her family history.

"It's been in my blood," Novak said. "My father was a cop for 31 years in Chicago."

On Saturday, Novak, along with other Valley residents, got a chance to interact with the women of the Tempe Police Department at the first women in policing expo held at the Tempe Police South Station.

Sponsored by Tempe Police, it was the first of its kind held in the city. The event gave women an opportunity to work with police equipment and talk with both male and female police officers.

Kim Shroyer, who has been a Tempe police negotiator for nine years, said being the only woman negotiator doesn't intimidate her.

"It feels fine and fantastic," said Shroyer, who is not the first female Tempe Police negotiator. "I've never had any negative issues or concerns and I feel like just another member of the team."

Marilyn Young, a 21-year-old justice studies senior, said she doesn't worry about having a difficult time entering a field still largely dominated by men.

"With women encouraging other women to become involved, I don't think it's an issue," Young said.

Tempe has approximately 50 female police officers working in various departments.

Councilwoman Barbara Carter spoke on behalf of the Tempe City Council and said the expo was a good way of demonstrating how women can become involved in fields like law enforcement that are still dominated by men.

"More needs to be done," Carter said. "Tempe is one of the most diverse cities in the world and there are various quality of life issues that still need to be addressed."

The expo featured a number of activities, including demonstrations by the SWAT team and the K-9 unit. Attendees toured the DUI enforcement and photo radar vans and took a polygraph test.

Journalism senior Katherine Kennedy said she wasn't sure if she wanted a career in law enforcement, but came to see the careers women have in policing.

Stephanie Harding, one of only two female Tempe motorcycle officers, said in her 13-year career as an officer she has stopped a number of motorists who react differently once they see she's a woman.

"Once I take my helmet off, their attitude changes a little bit," Harding said. "They don't get mad or anything like that, but they do get a little embarrassed and turn red."

Reach the reporter at tony.ku@asu.edu.

×