As the fire chief with the City of Tempe I have seen new challenges brought our way following the events of Sept 11, 2001. My focus and the focus of our members have broadened to include terrorism response and public education in preparation for a possible terrorist event.

A significant emotional event like that of Sept. 11, 2001 causes anxiety, reflection, change and resolve. While I have long been a strong supporter of the high value of firefighters in our society, I can honestly say that I hold them in even higher esteem today. As tragic as the events of last year were, they have demonstrated to all of us the commitment, dedication and selflessness that are reflected in firefighters. I have never been more proud to be associated with the members of the Tempe Fire Department and the people in the fire service.

I am thankful for the cooperation of valley fire departments and know that by working closely together we are stronger. This approach has never been more important than it is today. I am also thankful for a strong working relationship with both the Tempe Police and ASU Police departments. Tempe City Management, the mayor and city council have been most supportive of our additional preparedness efforts and have helped to make a difficult situation more manageable.

Our mission has not really changed as a department but the emphasis on certain parts of the mission has shifted. The members of the Tempe Fire Department have risen to the challenge and again I am extremely proud of each one of them. The department's long standing history of delivering emergency medical, hazardous materials, public education and technical rescue services have served to position us to operate effectively in this new era.

Here's hoping for a safe and prosperous year for all of us. God Bless America.

×