Tempe Fire to help in wildfires

The Tempe Fire Department will be able to lend a helping hand to other Arizona towns if this wildfire season is as eventful as last year's.

Tempe City Council approved a cooperative agreement between the Arizona State Land Department and the Tempe Fire Department on Thursday, which states that the department would be available for assistance during a major wildfire disaster.

"We'd provide support to help defend towns and cities affected by wildfires," said Tempe Fire Chief Cliff Jones.

Jones added that the city is not well equipped to fight wildfires because Tempe is landlocked and has very little brush within its city limits.

"We don't have the equipment or training for fighting large brush fires," Jones said. "It's been at least 20 years since we owned a brush truck."

Bob Graham, initial attack fire dispatcher at the Arizona State Land Department, said the agreement allows Tempe firefighters to work at fire stations in other cities during fire emergencies.

"Tempe Fire Department would loan [structure fire] equipment and personnel to aid in the event of a major wildfire," Graham said.

Glendale, Phoenix and nearly 250 major cities are involved in similar agreements with the Arizona State Land Department, Graham said.

Despite recent rains in central Arizona and snow in the north, Jones said this year's fire season could still be harsh.

"At this point, we're still facing a very severe situation," Jones said.

The agreement would not require Tempe firefighters to respond to a wildfire emergency if there were local emergencies, Graham said.

Reach the reporter at meagan.pollnow@asu.edu.

×