Though specifically an American holiday, many international students at ASU East celebrated Thanksgiving, and some added their own cultural flair to the feast.

Fernando Torres, a senior in the professional flight program, is from Ecuador, and though this was not his first Thanksgiving, he said, "I've been receiving a lot of invitations, and some people realize we don't have families here in the United States."

Torres said he believed people in America are willing to share the holiday with foreign students.

"I thought [Thanksgiving] was the biggest holiday for Americans when I came here," Torres said. "It seemed bigger than Christmas. This is the only holiday we don't have in Ecuador."

He also said he believes it is a good thing to be thankful and to have a time when families and friends can come together.

Computer hardware engineering sophomore Juan Martinez said he invited two people to share Thanksgiving at his parents' house in Yuma where the holiday was celebrated with traditional Mexican dishes.

Martinez lived in Mexico for most of his life, but in America, his family adopted some American traditions. The Martinez family created their own version of Thanksgiving by serving homemade tamales or posole.

"I've tried turkey and it doesn't have a taste, so that's why we have chicken instead," Martinez said.

But he said he enjoys the spirit of the feast.

"I think it's a time for family to get together and being caring," Martinez said.

For the past three to four years, Paul Johnston has coordinated American host families with ASU East international students to join together for the Thanksgiving meal so the students feel at home.

"Usually it is a couple of people I know or people that have expressed interest in hosting the Thanksgiving dinner," Johnston said.

"This year, only one [student] signed up for the dinner," Johnston added. "But in the past we've had students at our house, and we explained the family traditions and the types of foods and explained the history of the traditions. They seemed to enjoy it."

Johnston also is coordinating the Christmas Progressive Dinner for International Students, which will be held on Saturday and includes a dinner at one home and eating dessert in another home.

Anyone interested in attending should e-mail Johnston at psjohn@amug.org today.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×