ASU East dean named Mesa Man of the Year

4tj57879
Albert L. McHenry PHD, ASU East Dean of the College of Technology and Applied Sciences, won the Mesa Man of the Year Award for his work at the university.

ASU East's Dean of the College of Technology, Albert McHenry, found out in an unusual way that he would receive the Mesa Man of the Year award on Feb. 18.

On Dec. 20, McHenry was awakened by his wife, Annette at 4:30 a.m. and told to get dressed and get in the car to be somewhere by 7:30.

McHenry had no idea where he was headed. "Ten thousand things went through my mind on the drive there," he said.

What he didn't know was that his colleagues, friends and family awaited him at a local restaurant to congratulate him on being named Mesa Man of the Year. McHenry has been a Mesa resident for 28 years.

Frank Bennett, of Bennett Property Management and chair of the Mesa Man of the Year Committee, said the nominations are based on service in the community, church, region, state and world.

Each December, the committee of 35 previous award recipients deliberates and then votes.

McHenry works early-morning and late-evening hours at Mesa Senior Services, Inc.

The Mesa Senior Services Center is a place where senior citizens can come together for recreation and meals and take advantage of new transportation services provided for those aged 75 and over.

McHenry said his goal is to help senior citizens be "independent, safe, well-nourished, and to have activities and entertainment."

Dan Taylor, executive director of the Mesa Senior Services Center, said McHenry "was the catalyst that led us through several major areas of growth."

With his new title, McHenry plans on following the tradition of serving as an ambassador and master of ceremonies at community events.

Reach the reporter at erika.camardella@asu.edu.

×