The men of women's basketball

ch75wq04
The boys practice squad looks on as the ASU girls team practices at Wells Fargo Arena.

The ASU women's basketball team is tied for third place in the Pac-10 standings. Their success can be attributed to the efforts of the players, coaches and the guys who practice with them - except these guys aren't on the men's basketball team.

Scout teams, which are volunteer teams formed to practice against the girls, are an integral part of the women's basketball program. The practice team usually consists of a group of guys (and sometimes former members of the women's team) who practice with the ladies to help improve their game. Currently in its eighth season, the program has proved to be a helpful tool.

However, just because the practice team is a voluntary effort doesn't mean it's easy to make. Before they even step on the court, the volunteers are checked to make sure they meet the university's eligibility requirements. They have to be enrolled as full-time students, maintain a GPA of 2.0 and be on the path to graduate - just like the players. During tryouts, the coaches look for players with good attitudes and skills that will be helpful for the team.

"Once we determine they can make us better, they attend practice every day," says Laura Hughes, the team's assistant coach. "We use them in many drills and to work on things other teams are going to be doing against us. The practice players are a huge part of our success and really push our women to the next level."

About a dozen guys try out for the practice team each season. In fact, last year, the turn out was so great that they had to rotate practice players. The response is generally a successful one, but who are these men voluntarily signing up to play against women?

"When I tell people what I do, they look at me funny," Ryan Burch says. The journalism sophomore found out about the opportunity to join a practice team from a friend who had done it at UA. Burch was also encouraged by women's basketball player, Jill Mell, whom sat next to him in class. Burch, who had been the captain of his high school varsity basketball team, was happy to find the opportunity but also a little apprehensive to be playing the team.

"When I started, I didn't play as hard at first, but then I saw how good they were," Burch says, "They really do beat us up a lot."

Burch's teammates agree: "They [the women] were tough from the first practice," says David Leshner, a public relations junior. "They really held their own and we were pushed." Leshner, who also played basketball in high school, really enjoys the competitiveness that the women's team has to offer.

"It's fun because we simulate the teams they are going to play for the next game, and so we have to memorize plays and know the competition's strengths and weaknesses, just like the girls do," Burch says.

For all the hard work the practice players invest, there is very little compensation. "We are limited on what we can give them" Hughes says. "We can give them practice gear and shoes, and they get a meal occasionally. They really give us a lot for receiving a little."

But the players disagree. "Being able to play basketball in Wells Fargo Arena and being treated as a D-1 athlete is enough for me," Leshner says.

If you are interested in trying out of a scout team, contact Laura Hughes at 480.965.6086.

Reach the reporter at rekha.muddaraj@asu.edu.

×