A worldwide computer worm has infected ASU terminals, and Information Technology has warned that the only protection is updated software.

The worm, called 'W32/Mydoom@MM,' was reported Monday on the Network Associates' Web site. Network Associates provides computer security to ASU.

The worm arrives as an e-mail attachment with various subject lines. These can include, "hi," "Error," "Server Report" or "Mail Delivery System."

It has spread via e-mail throughout the world, but has not caused major damage to ASU computers, said William Lewis, vice provost of information technology.

"Our e-mail system's software is catching them, but some of them are getting through," Lewis said. "Mostly the ones with the 'hi' subject line."

He added that Mydoom is unusually large.

"Everyone (in the world) has been hit," he said. "I've read that within 45 minutes, it has spread to 3,500 systems throughout the world - it's moving fast."

New anti-virus updates have been released to combat Mydoom, but because it can still slip through, it is important not to open any attachments unless they are expected, Lewis said.

"Even if you know the person it's coming from, do not open it," he said. "Do not unzip them; throw them out."

The worm is downloaded only if the attachment, which comes as a ZIP file, is opened.  It then resends itself using the Outlook address book and file-sharing programs.

Once opened, the worm is able to capture passwords, credit card numbers and other highly sensitive information. It can then transmit the information to anther source, Lewis said.

Computer science senior Amber Christensen said she's received five infected e-mails so far.

"First I didn't recognize the name, and then when I saw the empty message and attachment, I knew it was a virus," Christensen said.

If the worm has been activated, a program can be downloaded for free at http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/.

The program, STINGER, will scan the computer for any signs of Mydoom and remove it, said James Allen, support systems analyst for the department of computer science.

"If it is downloaded,  [STINGER] will locate new pieces and delete them," Allen said.

Updates for VirusScan, ASU's anti-virus software are available for all ASU students, faculty and staff at www.asu.edu/antivirus.

Lewis also recommended that Windows users download virus patches available at Microsoft.com.

Reach the reporter at jacqueline.shoyeb@asu.edu.

×