City council and mayoral candidates for the City of Tempe addressed community concerns and their plans for the city's future in two forums Monday.

Among the more heavily discussed topics were the Arizona Biodesign Institute and the proposed construction of approximately 10,000 units of student housing.

Mayoral candidate and current city councilman Dennis Cahill said Tempe's relationship with ASU is "great and getting better." He promoted the establishment of an on-campus housing assistance office.

"First-time renters need to be educated about the hazards of renting, in addition to the etiquette involved in being a good neighbor," Cahill said. "Students got a bad rap with the loud party ordinance, and people in office and in the community must recognize that bad behavior doesn't belong to a particular group."

Cahill's opponent, Hugh Hallman, agreed, but contended that permanent residents were of greater long-term economic value to the community.

"I'm not saying that ASU students are bad, but permanent residents provide purchasing power that supports community businesses," Hallman said.

City Council candidates David Strang, Augustus Shaw, Mark Mitchell and Hut Hutson also addressed the campus housing issue.

"More on-campus housing will create a decrease in the number of houses rented by ASU students and an increase in low-cost housing for families," Hutson said.

Both mayoral candidates also touted the Arizona Biodesign Institute as a key indicator of the strength of Tempe's relationship to the community.

"The $360 million that the institute brings to Tempe is an incredible prize for the city," Hallman said. "It is an amazing opportunity for the development of the area around Tempe Town Lake, construction and biotech jobs and residential support for ASU students."

Cahill said "the institute brings greater visibility and prominence to ASU and, as a result, to Tempe."

The forums were a supplement to candidate speeches scheduled for 5 p.m. Feb. 5, 19 and 26. The East Valley Tribune sponsored the forums, which were held in the Tempe City Council chambers.

The mayoral and city council primary elections will take place March 9. If necessary, run-off elections will be held May 18.

Reach the reporter at kelly.vaughn@asu.edu..

×