Rhythmic Arabic chants and colorful ethnic clothing flooded Sun Angel Stadium Sunday when thousands of Muslims gathered in celebration of the second largest Islamic holiday of the year.

Between 8,000 and 10,000 Muslims turned out for the mass prayer, a celebration of Eid ul-Adha.

The holiday marks the end of the pilgrimage to Mecca, said Ibrahim Emran, a master of business administration student and prayer event coordinator.

The 30-minute prayer and sermon was immediately followed by an appearance by Gov. Janet Napolitano.

Donning a white Islamic headscarf, Napolitano spoke to the long rows of men and women about her current plans and goals for the state.

In her 10-minute speech, Napolitano addressed challenges involving healthcare, education and the job market.

"We have many challenges facing us ... but we must make sure that Arizonans are respectful and respecting others," she said. "[We must] make sure we are listening to all points of views and make sure we work together to build our great state.

"Our ability to meet these challenges is strengthened by the varied diversity in our state," Napoliano added.

Another event coordinator, Arif Kazmi, invited Napolitano in order to form a bond between the Muslim community and the governor.

"It's important for elected officials to come and see how we are and to know us," Kazmi said.

Electrical engineering junior Shums AbdusSamad said she was surprised at the governor's unexpected appearance, but hoped the large, attentive crowd made an impression.

"It was really wonderful to see her at our event so she can be aware of our community and see the diversity in our community," AbdusSamad said.

Eid ul-Adha is one of two major Muslim holidays. The other is Eid ul-Fitr, after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

In celebration of Eid ul-Adha, Muslims gather for a mass prayer and then head home for a large lunch and dinner with family, said Marwan Sadeddin, coordinator of the Islamic Shura Council of Arizona.

The council is made up of a collection of Islamic religious leaders in Arizona.

Eid ul-Adha is a time of unity for the extremely diverse community, whose only connection is religion, said journalism sophomore Sumaya Abdul-Quadir.

"When you're in a school as big ASU, [this gathering] gives you a sense of belonging, " she said. "Everyone wants to be a part of a group and this is our group.

"Eid is a celebration where we get together with our families and friends," she added.

Reach the reporter at jacqueline.shoyeb@asu.edu.

×