The gavel banged five minutes into the ASU College Republican meeting, magically changing it to a Students for Bush at ASU meeting.

Chairwoman Christina Corieri doesn't usually possess the power to change the room full of College Republicans into a room of students for Bush, but that is what happened when she banged the gavel.

Corieri goes through this process because she "doesn't want any trouble with the law," referring to the McCain-Feingold campaign finance law, which bans national parties from accepting soft money -- money given by groups to candidates in ways that skirt regulations on amount.

Corieri explained that the law has nothing to do with money here at ASU, but it does say that 60 days before the presidential election, groups like the College Republicans cannot communicate with the Republican Party. So, the group has to form a new club -- with new leadership -- called Students for Bush at ASU.

"As the group College Republicans, we can't campaign for Bush, which is ridiculous," said Steph Jarczyk, co-chairwoman of Students for Bush at ASU.

Since the new law ties their hands, the College Republicans have set aside that name for a while and have been focusing on Students for Bush at ASU.

President of Students for Bush at ASU Jared Sandella said, "Eighteen to 20-year-olds are the most apathetic part of the population."

Students for Bush at ASU has been trying to change that stereotype.

So far they have signed up 820 students for Bush, putting ASU third in a national contest.

Reach the reporter at selina.shearer@asu.edu.

×