Defense shines in first scrimmage

andrew-walter-4
Junior defensive tackle Quency Darley closes in on senior quarterback Andrew Walter at Camp Tontozona.

CAMP TONTOZONA - It's good that the ASU football team has another chance to prove itself.

At least that's coach Dirk Koetter's mentality after a ho-hum scrimmage Sunday revealed more flaws than strengths.

Led by junior linebacker Dale Robinson, the defense looked dominant, but the offense struggled to find consistency, as senior quarterback Andrew Walter was not near his best and no tailbacks or wide receivers stood out.

Walter completed 5 of 9 passes for 31 yards and one touchdown, while backup Sam Keller threw for 74 yards and freshman Max Hall went 7 for 10 for 59 yards with one interception. Freshman Rudy Carpenter was 2 for 4 for 11 yards and two touchdowns.

Sophomore Loren Wade rushed for 38 yards on seven carries, numbers that were comparable to that of junior Hakim Hill (34 yards on nine carries) and sophomore Randy Hill (28 yards on seven carries). Junior Cornell Canidate sat with a hamstring injury.

One of 15 players to catch a pass, junior Moey Mutz led the receiving corps with two receptions for 46 yards. Sophomore Terry Richardson, redshirt freshman Jeff Gray and freshman tight end/H-back Andrew Pettes each scored touchdowns.

The defensive highlight of the scrimmage came from junior safety Maurice London, who intercepted Hall's pass on a post route intended for freshman wide receiver Michael Jones. Sophomore defensive tackle Jordan Hill also recovered a fumble and tackled Randy Hill in the end zone for a safety.

Sophomore kicker Jesse Ainsworth made 18 of 19 field goals, connecting four times from 48 yards. Redshirt freshman Chris MacDonald averaged 47.3 yards on 10 punts.

Koetter figured there is plenty of room for improvement before Friday's camp-ending scrimmage.

"The defense had a much better day than the offense did," he said. "There was good and bad. We'll learn off the film."

Playing without center Drew Hodgdon and left guard Grayling Love, the offensive line had trouble protecting the quarterback. Senior Ishmael Thrower registered two sacks on the opening drive and sophomore Kyle Caldwell had one of his own, negating a 29-yard run by Wade.

Redshirt freshman Mike Pollak, who likely will start the first two games while Hodgdon recovers from a break in his right foot, didn't look too shabby, but took the blame for a fumble on a quarterback-center exchange.

"It's just a play that I have to pull far down the line," Pollak said. "It's something that I've been having trouble with the past week. But it's something I'm getting better at."

Hall led ASU on its longest drive of the morning, connecting with five different receivers, including Gray, redshirt freshman Kellen Mills and seldom-used Stephen Bisnett.

Mutz wasn't thrilled about the offensive production, despite catching a 33-yard pass from Keller that drew applause from hundreds of Sun Devils fans scattered along the sidelines.

"This is the first time the offense has been together, and it's not all the same crew because we have some linemen out," Mutz said. "Timing is the biggest thing. It's probably not the best right now, but it was our first scrimmage."

Said junior wide receiver Derek Hagan: "We made mistakes on both sides of the ball. On offense, we made some really good plays, and we also had some bad plays that we know we have to regroup on."

Robinson, projected to be the team's starting Sam linebacker, delivered the biggest hit of the scrimmage, leveling Wade for a 3-yard loss. The hit rivaled gunner Chris McKenzie's blow against freshman Nate Kimbrough on a punt return.

Caldwell isn't surprised by Robinson's emergence.

"I had always heard good stuff about Dale when he was coming in here," Caldwell said. "He helps in so many different ways. He's out there flying through and making huge sacks. That's what you've got to have out of your linebackers."

Injury update

Hodgdon (foot), Love (shoulder), Canidate (hamstring), junior cornerback Josh Golden (hamstring), junior linebacker Nick Clapp (back), freshman wide receiver Jeremy Payton (foot), freshman cornerback Myrio Davis (foot), senior defensive tackle Gabe Reininger (knee), sophomore tailback Jarrett Sayas (unknown) and freshman right tackle Julius Orieukwu (shoulder) did not participate in the scrimmage. Freshman cornerback Chad Green left the scrimmage with a nagging shin injury.

Reach the reporter at brian.gomez@asu.edu.

×