Hodgdon goes down at Camp T

CAMP TONTOZONA - The ASU football team's retooled offensive line just became a little more jumbled.

Senior center Drew Hodgdon suffered a break in his right foot and is expected to miss four to six weeks, meaning he'll be out for the Sept. 2 season opener against Texas-El Paso and likely won't play in the Sept. 11 game at Northwestern. Coach Dirk Koetter hopes to have him back in time for the Sept. 18 game against Iowa.

Hodgdon had a screw inserted near the little toe on his right foot Wednesday afternoon before joining his teammates at Camp Tontozona. Koetter said doctors had to put the screw in Hodgdon's foot because there wasn't much blood circulating around the area in which the break occurred.

Redshirt freshman Mike Pollak will move from backup right guard to starting center in Hodgdon's absence. Robert Gustavis, also a redshirt freshman, will play behind Pollak.

The offensive line already was extended before Hodgdon went down with junior left guard Grayling Love recovering from off-season shoulder surgery. Love is restricted from contact at Camp Tontozona, elevating sophomore Stephen Berg to the first team for drills and scrimmages.

Koetter figures Hodgdon's injury will make his team stronger in the long run.

"What an awesome opportunity for all of our young guys to get some reps and learn what they're doing," he said. "Just think how much better that's going to make us when we get Grayling and Drew back."

Hodgdon suffered the break Tuesday during an on-campus workout when he flipped over after a collision with senior linebacker Justin Burks. He was trying to push off his foot when he heard a pop, Koetter said.

Quarterback Andrew Walter claims that losing Hodgdon puts a burden not just himself, but the entire offense.

"Our whole offense has to pick it up," Walter said. "He's my partner in crime. He's one half of the dynamic duo. To miss him is huge.

"It will be trial by fire for everybody on the line. Once Drew comes back, they'll have a lot more experience. Anytime somebody can get experience, that's positive. As long as they're getting experience while we're winning games."

Pollak played guard and defensive tackle at Tempe Corona del Sol, but Koetter doesn't have any concerns about using him at center.

"We have always thought Pollak has had a chance to be a center long-term," Koetter said. "He was battling for the starting job at guard anyway. Our philosophy has always been to keep the best five on."

Reach the reporter at brian.gomez@asu.edu.

×