Notebook: Stewart comes to camp ready to hit

CAMP TONTOZONA - Playing under overcast skies instead of the scorching sun, senior safety Riccardo Stewart didn't waste any time making up for lost reps.

Stewart, who was limited in Tuesday's on-campus practice, delivered some of the biggest hits Wednesday during the ASU football team's first full-pads workout at Camp Tontozona.

He laid out junior tailback Hakim Hill in a running drill and later collided with sophomore wide receiver Terry Richardson. His hit on Richardson drew gasps from the few fans in attendance and brought the defense to its feet along the sideline.

Getting out of the heat was important for Stewart, who has suffered from full-body cramps throughout his career.

"I had some body-heat cramps, and up here, I don't have to worry about that," Stewart said.

Coach Dirk Koetter called Stewart the "verbal leader" of the defense - a role Stewart is willing to assume.

"That's a role that I'm going to have to accept this year," Stewart said. "If that's what they need me to do, then that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to make mistakes. I might make more mistakes on some days than others, and I've got to accept that.

"Last year, I was afraid to step up and speak out loud because I didn't want to tell someone else how to do something, and then the next play, have me mess up on it. But this is football, and people make mistakes. I've got to take the good with the bad."

Stewart said the switch from the 4-2-5 defense to the simpler 4-3 look has taken the strain off him and the other defensive backs.

"It gives us an opportunity to actually get our hands on a lot of balls," said Stewart, who had three interceptions in 11 games last season before going down with a serious neck injury. "If you're out here watching, you'll see that the safeties are getting a lot more picks this camp, and hopefully that will turn over and lead into the season."

Getting testy

Koetter liked the tempo of the practice, which featured more than one testy moment.

Senior safety Emmanuel Franklin yelled a couple expletives at junior wide receiver Matt Miller after Miller grabbed his facemask on a post route. Franklin was flagged for pass interference.

Then, junior cornerback Mike Davis Jr. locked up with freshman wide receiver Nate Kimbrough off the line of scrimmage and interfered with him. Davis and Kimbrough exchanged slaps before coaches broke up the scuffle.

"The whole tempo of this team has definitely changed," sophomore defensive end Kyle Caldwell said. "You can see it in everyone, offense and defense. This is just a completely different team."

Injury update

Junior wide receiver Derek Hagan dressed Wednesday but did not practice because of a sore back that has bothered him since he got kicked during an on-campus workout. Koetter said the injury is "nothing serious."

Freshman right tackle Julius Orieukwu wore a no-contact jersey, as did junior left guard Grayling Love, who is recovering from off-season shoulder surgery.

Quick kicks

Sophomore safety J.W. Lucas has quit the team, Koetter said. Lucas was not listed on the two-deep depth chart heading into fall practice.

Koetter planned to review tape of Wednesday's practice before making individual evaluations.

"This is the time of year when some guys talk a good game, and when you start playing for real, then the film shows who plays a good game," he said. "It was a little too much talking by some guys and not enough playing today. We'll get in the film session tonight, and they'll find out who they are real fast."

On Thursday, practices are scheduled from 8:35-11:05 a.m. and 3:50-6 p.m. If it rains, the team will move to Payson's Rumsey Park, which has a FieldTurf surface.

Reach the reporter at brian.gomez@asu.edu.

×