Notebook: Toughness tone takes over

CAMP TONTOZONA - Maybe players shouldn't have asked Dirk Koetter to intensify the "toughness tone" after last year's somewhat-complacent camp.

Koetter ended Thursday's two-hour practice with a grueling series of sprints. It wasn't as extreme as the fabled treks up Mount Kush, although more players were seen hunched over than standing upright.

The offense and defense rotated turns, with each player having to sprint 53 yards, the width of the football field. Koetter's proclamation of the "end of the first quarter" after four sprints was met with groans, and some players looked like they were ready to collapse after completing their eighth sprint, which signified halftime.

After 16 sprints, the game finally ended. But then there was overtime, when players had to roll out the tarp to protect the Camp Tontozona field from possible nighttime showers.

"I think we have five or six two-a-days, and if they're all like that, we'd be very happy," said Koetter, whose afternoon practice featured lots of team drills and special teams work.

The sprints caught senior defensive tackle Jimmy Verdon by surprise, but he figured they helped build mental toughness.

"I was thinking there was going to be like some 10-yard sprints," Verdon said. "But gassers? Sixteen of them? Those will get you, but it was all good. You're more happy after it's done."

Junior linebacker Jamar Williams claims the sprints will pay off late in games.

"Last year, coach Koetter and the rest of the team didn't like how we played in the third and fourth quarters," Williams said. "We thought a lot of it had to do with conditioning and mental toughness. You can see guys who aren't too mentally tough, and this is going to make them stronger."

Love for Miller

Koetter has been impressed with the development of freshman Zach Miller, who likely will figure into the rotation at either tight end or H-back.

"He's moving up the depth chart quickly," Koetter said of Miller, the brother of redshirt freshman Brent Miller. "What's impressive about Zach is he probably makes fewer mental mistakes than any tight end we have right now, except for Lee Burghgraef. His knowledge is very impressive for a freshman."

Injury update

Sophomore tailback Loren Wade returned for the afternoon practice after leaving the morning workout, but did not run with the first team. Junior left guard Grayling Love (shoulder) and freshman lineman Julius Orieukwu (shoulder) both sat out the afternoon practice. Other players who suffered injuries in the afternoon included freshman wide receiver Jeremy Payton (ankle), junior defensive tackle Quency Darley (shoulder), freshman safety Myrio Davis (foot), sophomore wide receiver Alex King (knee), junior cornerback Josh Golden (hamstring) and freshman cornerback Chad Green (calf).

Senior center Drew Hodgdon, who suffered a break in his right foot and is expected to miss four to six weeks, attended camp Thursday, wearing a thick cast and hobbling on crutches.

Quick kicks

Senior quarterback Andrew Walter on Thursday's practices: "Today was a lot more crisp than (Wednesday). Guys are learning their assignments and everything is coming together."

On Friday, practice is scheduled from 8:35-11:15 a.m. and there will be a walk thru from 4:30-5:30 p.m. If it rains, the team will move to Payson's Rumsey Park, which has a FieldTurf surface.

Reach the reporter at brian.gomez@asu.edu.

×