ASU splits games at Anteater Invitational

The ASU women's water polo team went 2-2 and placed 11th in the Anteater Invitational in Irvine, Calif. during last weekend.

The No. 11 Sun Devils began the tournament Saturday with a loss to No. 6 San Jose State 9-6. The loss dropped the team to 1-5 on the season and was ASU's second loss of the season to the Spartans.

The Sun Devils were within one goal of the Spartans at the end of the first three quarters, as San Jose State led 2-1 after the first, 5-4 at halftime and 6-5 at the end of the third quarter.

However, the Spartans' play stepped up in the final period as they outscored the Sun Devils 3-1 to take the game to 9-6.

Senior attacker Katie Hedley led the Sun Devils offensively, scoring twice for her the 100th and 101st goals of her career.

In their second game, the Sun Devils rebounded and beat No. 16 Michigan 8-7, to double their win total.

ASU jumped on the Wolverines early and after the first quarter led 3-1.

Michigan came right back and outscored the Sun Devils by the same margin to go into halftime tied at four.

After the break, the Sun Devils again outscored the Wolverines 3-1 to lead after the third quarter, 7-5.

ASU only managed to score one goal in the final period, but it was enough as ASU's defense held Michigan to two goals and the team went on to pick up the win.

Hedley again led the way for the Sun Devils with two goals in the game.

The Sun Devils faced No. 7 Loyola Marymount in their first game on Sunday and lost a 9-8 heartbreaker to fall to 2-6 on the season.

In the final period, each team scored two goals before LMU scored the game-winner with less than one minute remaining to squeak past the Sun Devils.

Sophomore all-around Addison Doud led ASU with three goals and added an assist.

Junior Caylinn Wallace had 12 saves and two steals on the defensive end.

In their final game of the tournament, the Sun Devils beat No. 12 UC Santa Barbara 13-11 in an overtime thriller.

ASU started strong and led 4-1 at the end of the first quarter and 6-1 at halftime.

However, UCSB found their rhythm offensively in the second half. The Gauchos outscored ASU 4-3 in the third quarter and then exploded in the fourth quarter. UCSB outscored the Sun Devils 5-1 in the final period, to tie the score and force overtime.

In the first overtime, the Sun Devils outscored UCSB 2-1 and then added one more in the second to win by two goals.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×