Keith Tkachuk was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers Sunday from the St. Louis Blues, the team he spent the equivalent of five seasons with.

Despite just joining his new franchise, the former captain of the Phoenix Coyotes and first American-born hockey player to lead the NHL in goals will be an unrestricted free agent when the season ends.

No doubt the Thrashers will make a big pitch to keep Tkachuk, especially since they anted up forward Glen Metropolit, a first- and third-round draft pick in 2007 and a second-round pick in 2008 to get him.

But there is one team that should offer more than the Thrashers this summer to reacquire Tkachuk. That is the Coyotes, who are in desperate need of grit, goal scoring and most importantly, some personality.

Tkachuk has scored 20 more goals than all of the four players combined that he was traded to St. Louis for in 2001. He very well could end his career with the most goals of any American in history. And he often plays like he's nuts - possessing a snapability that should put butts in the seats at Jobing.com Arena.

×