Dispersed Devils enjoy successful weekend

The ASU track and field team competed in four different meets last weekend and returned home with a record performance and many NCAA automatic and provisional qualifiers.

The weekend was highlighted by Amy Hastings, who set the American collegiate record in the indoor 5,000m at the Husky Invitational in Seattle.

Her time of 15:30.17 beat the previous record of 15:34.5 set by Margaret Groos of Virginia in 1981 and also automatically qualified her for the NCAA championships.

Sarah Stevens also earned an automatic bid to the national meet and placed second in the shot put at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark., with a mark of 17.58m (57-08.25). She also provisionally qualified and finished second in the weight throw with a mark of 19.58m (64-3.00).

Many other Sun Devils also won events and earned marks that provisionally qualified them for the NCAA championships.

At the TCR Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M., both Matt Turner and Stephanie Garnett won the long jump and recorded provisional marks of 7.72m (25-04.00) and 6.18m (20-3.50), respectively. Turner's mark also placed him in the No. 5 spot on ASU's all-time list.

At the Tyson Invitational, Ryan Whiting finished fourth and earned a provisional mark of 18.62m (61-1.25) in the shot put. Jessica Pressley also provisionally qualified and placed fifth in the same event with a mark of 15.98m (52-05.25).

At the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, Latosha Wallace finished fourth and provisionally qualified in the 400m dash with a time of 54.20.

At the Husky Invitational, four Sun Devils earned provisional marks. Jenna Kingma and Ali Kielty finished fourth and fifth in the women's 3,000m with times of 9:26.55 and 9:28.02, respectively.

Aaron Aguayo finished fifth in the men's 3,000m with a time of 7:59.39, and Kyle Alcorn placed 15th in the 5,000m with a time of 14:03.78.

Aguayo's performance also allowed him to move up to the No. 2 spot on ASU's all-time list, while Kielty's time was the fifth-best in school history and Alcorn's was the fourth-best.

ASU heads to Flagstaff for the second time this season when it competes in the Southwest Invitational next weekend.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×