Plenty accomplished in Flagstaff tourney

The ASU track and field team had a strong showing at the Mountain 'T' Invitational in Flagstaff last weekend as two school records were set, four automatic and three provisional NCAA championship berths were earned, and many Sun Devils took home first place in their respective events.

Redshirt freshman Ryan Whiting set an ASU record with a 19.89m (65-03.25) mark in the shot put, which not only earned him first place in the event but also automatically qualified him for the NCAA championships in just the second meet of his Sun Devil career.

April Kubishta also won the pole vault and cleared 14 feet for the first time in ASU history when her mark measured 4.3m (14-01.25). She also became the first female to automatically qualify for the NCAA championships in the event.

In addition to the two record setters, ASU also had two women who automatically qualified for the NCAA championships in one event and provisionally qualified in another.

Sarah Stevens automatically qualified when she threw 17.79m (58-04.50) in the shot put and provisionally qualified when she recorded a 19.81m (65-00.00) in the weight throw.

Jessica Pressley took home the win and automatically qualified for the NCAA championships in the weight throw with a mark of 20.25m (66-05.25). She also provisionally qualified with a 15.97m (52.0475) mark in the shot put.

Latosha Wallace also earned a provisional NCAA berth in the 400m dash with a 53.67 time.

Many other Sun Devils also took home individual and team victories at the meet.

Jacquelyn Johnson earned two individual victories in the 60m hurdles and the high jump. She was also a member of the team that won the 4x400 relay, along with Shauntel Elcock, Wallace and Bridgette Williams.

Lisa Navarro also earned a victory when she won the open division over the women's pole vault.

The No. 1 women's team and the No. 16 men's team will split up between three meets this weekend as the Devils will head to the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Alaska, the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa, and the Washington Invitational in Seattle.

Reach the reporter at: gmizell@asu.edu.

×