Weekend yields more triumphs for Devils

trackandfield
Members of the ASU waterpolo team practice at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center earlier this year.

The ASU track and field team had another successful weekend, resulting in event wins and automatic and provisional qualifying marks for the NCAA Championships during the Southwest Invitational.

It was the Sun Devils' final meet before the 2007 MPSF Indoor Championships.

The women's team alone posted three individual wins, one automatic and two provisional NCAA qualifying performances.

In the shot put, Jessica Pressley took first with a mark of 16.70m (59-09.50) to provisionally qualify for the national meet.

Sarah Stevens won the weight throw with an NCAA provisional qualifying mark of 20.28m (66-06.50).

The final winner was Stephanie Garnett in the long jump. Garnett posted a mark of 6.04m (19-09.75).

In the pole vault, April Kubishta earned an automatic berth to the national meet for the second time this season by clearing 4.22m (13-10.00).

The men's team also had a nice weekend, adding one automatic qualifier and two provisional qualifiers for the NCAA Championships.

Ryan Whiting automatically qualified for the national meet and finished second in the shot put with a mark of 19.56m (64-02.25).

Jason Lewis and Tomas Navarro provisionally qualified for the NCAA Championships in the same event with tosses of 18.14m (59-06.25) and 17.80m (58-04.75), respectively.

In men's sprints, Kevin Love Jr. finished second in the 200m dash with a time of 21.56.

The team heads to Seattle next weekend for the 2007 MPSF Indoor Championships.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×