ASU tries for more national qualifiers

Members of the ASU track and field team will disperse to two different locations this weekend to compete in the Last Chance Qualifying meets.

The Sun Devils will have one goal - qualify for the NCAA Indoor Championships March 9 and 10.

Select jumpers and distance runners will head to Seattle while members of the 4x400 relay team will head to Ames, Iowa in their last effort to get qualified for the national meet.

"We're looking to round out our roster for the national championships," ASU coach Greg Kraft said.

Trying to qualify in Seattle will be Stephanie Garnett and Jacquelyn Johnson in the long jump, Jenna Kingma and Ali Kielty in the 3,000m run and Jessie McLaughlin in the mile.

"I just need to get mentally and physically ready," Johnson said.

Heading to Iowa State University to try for qualification will be Latosha Wallace in the 400m run and the 4x400 relay team of Wallace, Bridgette Williams,

Shauntel Elcock and D'Metra Macedon.

Kraft said he believes it is especially important to get Garnett and Kingma qualified because he thinks they can really help the women's team in the national meet.

"If we can get Stephanie and Jenna in the [national] meet, they will have a legitimate chance of scoring," Kraft said.

ASU knows it can get those last athletes qualified this weekend as long as each one performs at their personal best instead of aiming for a specific time or mark.

"Sometimes student athletes try to chase a mark," Kraft said. "As long as they execute and compete, they will have a chance to get a big mark."

Johnson also has high expectations for the team this weekend.

"I expect the best, but I know it's going to come," Johnson said. "The girls are ready."

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×