Polo wins one, loses one on road trip

The ASU women's water polo team completed a two-game road trip against No. 3 USC and No. 20 Cal State Northridge last weekend, coming away with one win and one loss.

The No. 11 Sun Devils (5-9, 2-4 MPSF) lost to USC on Saturday by a final score of 15-8, but came back the next day to defeat Cal State Northridge 8-6.

In the first game, the Sun Devils were not intimidated by the highly ranked Trojans, as the score was tied at three at the end of the first quarter.

In the second period, USC outscored the Sun Devils 5-2 to go into half time with an 8-5 lead.

The Trojans pulled away in the second half when they outscored the ASU 3-1 in the third quarter and 4-2 in the fourth quarter to win by a final score of 15-8.

The Sun Devils were led on offense by junior attacker Kim Buck and sophomore all-around Addison Doud. Both players had two goals in the contest. Junior goalie Caylinn Wallace stopped six shots.

But the Sun Devil defense could not stop USC senior utility player Erika Figge, as she netted six goals in the game.

The Sun Devils did not let the loss affect them the next day as they jumped on Cal State Northridge by scoring two goals early in the game and four goals total in the first period to take a 4-2 lead.

Both teams scored two goals in the second quarter to keep ASU's lead at two going into half time.

The Sun Devils outscored Cal State Northridge 2-1 in the third quarter to push their lead to 8-5.

ASU could not find the back of the net in the final period, but the Sun Devils only gave up one goal to secure the 8-6 win.

Senior attacker Katie Hedley and freshman center Kelly Phelps led the way on offense for the Sun Devils with a pair of goals each. Wallace also stopped 14 shots.

The Sun Devils will play a slew of games this weekend as they will take on No. 12 UC Santa Barbara on Friday and then host the ASU Invitational on Saturday and Sunday.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×