Track starts outdoor season right

The ASU track & field team started the outdoor season with 11 victories and had 15 regional qualifiers at the Baldy Castillo Invitational at Sun Angel Stadium last weekend.

The men were led by junior Kelvin Love Jr., who swept the short sprints and qualified for the regional meet in both events. He ran the 100m dash in 10.48 and the 200m dash in 20.73.

Also in the sprints, junior Jimmie Gordon won the 400m dash with a time of 47.62.

In distance, senior Aaron Aguayo won the 1,500m run with a time of 3:46.53 and also qualified for the regional meet.

Sophomore Jack Mann finished first in the 800m run with a time of 1:52.30.

Senior Andrew Smith won the javelin and qualified for regionals with a toss of 66.59m. Junior Brad Roth also regionally qualified in the same event.

Junior Matt Turner won the high jump and qualified for the regional meet when he cleared 2.10m.

Redshirt freshman Jason Lewis and Smith both regionally qualified in the hammer throw with tosses of 59.02m (193-08) and 57.89m (189-11), respectively.

Senior Domenik Peterson qualified for the regional meet in the 200m dash with a time of 20.95.

The women were led by junior Tai Battle, who regionally qualified in three events. She earned a mark of 14.33m in the shot put, a mark of 57.89m (189-11) in the hammer throw and a mark of 4.49m in the discus.

Junior April Kubishta set another school record when she cleared 4.20 in the pole vault. The clearance also earned her the win in the event and qualified her for the regional meet.

Freshman Jasmine Chaney won the 100m hurdles with a time of 14.01.

The women's 4x400 relay team of senior Bridgette Williams, sophomore Shauntel Elcock, junior Jordan Durham and senior Latosha Wallace won the event with a time of 3:42.55.

Wallace also took first and regionally qualified in the 400m dash with a time of 53.13. Elcock also qualified for regionals in the same event with a time of 54.46.

Senior Becky Holley qualified for the regional meet in the javelin with a mark of 44.62m.

Overall, the Sun Devils had 32 athletes or relay teams finish in the top three of their event.

The Sun Devils will compete in two meets this weekend as some athletes will travel south to Tucson for the Jim Click Multis on Thursday and Friday, while others will stay at home to compete in the ASU Clif Bar Invitational on Friday and Saturday.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×