Another big weekend for ASU track

The ASU track and field team continued to put up huge marks last weekend as its members combined for 21 regional qualifying marks and 10 individual wins at the Arizona International in Tucson and the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif.

The Sun Devils were dominating both on the track and in the field at the Arizona International.

The men's team was led by senior Domenik Peterson, who was part of four regional qualifying marks.

Individually, he finished second and regionally qualified in both the 200m dash and 400m dash with times of 20.74 and 46.55, respectively.

He was also a member of the 4x400 relay team with freshman Justin Kremer, junior Marquis Profit and junior Jimmie Gordon. The foursome won the event and qualified for regionals.

The 4x100 relay team with Profit, Kremer and junior Kelvin Love, Jr., finished second and qualified for regionals.

Profit also won the 400m hurdles and regionally qualified with a time of 51.49. The mark was also the eighth-fastest in school history.

The women's sprinters also put up solid marks in Tucson as they combined to win all but two events.

Senior Latosha Wallace led the way as she won and regionally qualified in the 400m dash with a time of 52.49. The mark was the third-fastest in the nation so far this year and the seventh-best in school history.

Other women sprinters who won their event and qualified for regionals included junior Jacquelyn Johnson in the 100m hurdles (13.88) and senior Bridgette Williams in the 200m dash (24.07).

The women's 4x100 relay team of junior Jordan Durham, sophomore Shauntel Elcock, sophomore Stephanie Garnett and Williams won their event and regionally qualified with a time of 45.99

The 4x400 team of Durham, sophomore Lauren Hayes, sophomore D'Metra Macedon and Williams also won and regionally qualified with a time of 3:43.30.

ASU also had huge marks in the throwing events as the team took home four victories and 11 marks good enough to qualify for regionals.

For the women, junior Tai Battle, junior Jessica Pressley and sophomore Sarah Stevens all regionally qualified in both the discus and the hammer.

Pressley took the top spot in the discus (54.70m), with Stevens finishing second (54.26m) and Battle fourth (52.10m) in the event, while Stevens won the hammer (63.83m), with Pressley taking second (61.18m) and Battle taking fourth (55.75m).

The men's throws were led by junior Brad Roth, who won the javelin and qualified for regionals with a toss of 67.47m. The toss also allowed him to take fifth place on ASU's Top 10 List.

Other men who regionally qualified in the throwing events included freshman Jason Lewis in both the discus (52.35m) and hammer (57.11m), senior Andrew Smith in the javelin (63.67m) and junior Tomas Navarro in the shot put (17.81m).

The Sun Devil distance runners also found success at the Stanford Invitational.

Senior Amy Hastings (15:50.19), freshman Kari Hardt (16:47.64) and junior Corey Randall (16:46.74) all regionally qualified in the 5,000m run. Hastings' time was also the second-fastest in school history.

Junior Kyle Alcorn qualified for regionals and finished sixth in the 3,000m steeplechase with a time of 8:41.45. His mark was also the fourth-fastest in school history.

The team will take a weekend off before hosting the Sun Angel Track Classic on April 13-14.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×