Everyone seems to know what the Oakland Raiders are going to do with the first pick in the NFL Draft - select JaMarcus Russell.

Don't be so sure.

The Raiders already have a more than capable player taking the snaps, ASU graduate Andrew Walter. In fact, quarterback is the only position on offense Oakland doesn't need help at.

The Sun Devils' all-time leading passer did as well as anybody could have hoped for last season with his top receiver not trying, his No. 2 receiver out for the year and his offensive line providing the worst protection in NFL history.

Walter played better than Oakland's other two quarterbacks last year, and if the Raiders don't improve, he'll do better than Russell would next year.

What the Raiders need to do is draft receiver Calvin Johnson, who will provide a deadly threat to complement Walter's arm. They then need to trade clubhouse disease Randy Moss for linemen or for more picks to get linemen.

Unfortunately, when an offense suffers, casual observers tend to look solely at the quarterback. But my guess is Raiders' management knows better.

×