Devils earn 17 more qualifying marks

The ASU track and field team just keeps rolling.

The team recorded more victories, regional qualifiers and records at the Triton Invitational in La Jolla, Calif.

Overall, the Sun Devils earned 17 regional qualifying marks and had four women and three men place in the top three of their respective events.

The Sun Devils were once again led by sophomore thrower Sarah Stevens, who set another school record in the shot put.

Stevens tossed 18.40m (60-04.50), which was the first time an ASU female threw more than 60 feet in competition. It was only the second time a female threw that far in the history of the Pac-10.

The women also fared well on the track, as senior Latosha Wallace won the 400m hurdles and qualified for regionals with a time of 52.90. Junior Jacquelyn Johnson won the 100m hurdles and regionally qualified with a time of 13.59.

Two other Sun Devil women made it onto the ASU all-time lists as Alana Waterford's clearance of 3.80m (12-05.50) in the pole vault was the fourth-best in ASU history, and Angela Piana's mark of 29.79m (97-09) in the javelin was the 10th-best.

The shot put was also the highlight of the weekend for the men's team as redshirt freshman Ryan Whiting won the event with a regional qualifying mark of 20.27m (66-06.00).

The mark was also the second best in ASU history and moved him to the top of the national list and to No. 7 in the world so far this season.

Junior Matt Turner also notched a victory for the Sun Devils and qualified for regionals with a clearance of 2.10m (6-10.75) in the high jump.

The Sun Devils will host their final home meet of the season Saturday, as they will welcome UA and NAU to Sun Angel Stadium for the Double Duel.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×