Water polo splits pair of games

The ASU women's water polo team split its two-game road trip last weekend as it defeated Pacific, 13-5, on Friday before losing to No. 6 California, 17-8, on Saturday.

The No. 8 Sun Devils (10-11, 3-6 MPSF) dominated Pacific from the beginning of the game and never let up.

The Sun Devils got on the board early when sophomore all-around Addison Doud scored just 35 seconds into the game. Senior attacker Ashley Bower also added two goals in the quarter to put the visitors on top 3-0 after the first period.

ASU got three more goals in the second quarter to push its lead to 6-0 at halftime.

Doud, freshman center Amanda Stepp and freshman center Kelly Phelps all scored in the period.

The Tigers finally got on the board when they scored four goals in the third quarter.

But ASU senior attacker Katie Hedley, freshman center Kari Walsh and Phelps were also able to find the back of the net in the period to keep a comfortable 9-4 lead for the Sun Devils going into the fourth quarter.

ASU outscored Pacific 4-1 in the final period, with goals coming from junior center Katy Lawlor, senior all-around Lindsay Willams, Walsh and Stepp.

ASU was led on defense by senior goalie Windy Ballejos, who recorded nine saves in her first career start in place of an injured Cailinn Wallace.

The win pushed the Sun Devils' win streak to five games, which was the second-longest in school history.

However, the streak ended the very next day with the loss to Cal.

The Golden Bears got off to a strong start when they outscored the Sun Devils, 4-1, in the first quarter.

Four continued to be the magic number for the Bears, as they also scored that many goals in the second and third periods to raise their lead to 12-4 at the end of the third quarter.

ASU's offense finally got a nice boost when the Sun Devils scored four goals of their own in the final quarter, but Cal added five more to finish off the 17-8 win.

The Sun Devils were led by Hedley on offense as she scored three goals to complete the hat trick. Stepp also added a pair of goals of her own.

Cal received outstanding performances from junior driver Molly Hayes, who scored four goals in the contest. Freshman driver Julie Oreglia and freshman defender Grace Reynolds each scored three goals in the win.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×