ASU looks to bounce back after tough loss

092507-soccervolpe
DIG IT OUT: Freshman Karen Volpe defends against SCU midfielder Chioma Igwe last week.

The ASU women's soccer team will be in Albuquerque, N.M., tonight to take on the University of New Mexico.

The Sun Devils (4-3-0) are trying to erase the sting of a 1-0 loss to No. 1 Santa Clara last Friday.

"We need to get [the Santa Clara game] past us," ASU coach Kevin Boyd said. "We need to learn our lessons and move on and start focusing on New Mexico."

The Sun Devils did not have a Sunday game for the first time this season and instead used the extra time to start preparing for the Lobos (4-2-2), Boyd said.

The Sun Devils also used the additional day off to let the players who saw significant playing time Friday recharge their batteries.

"Obviously we need to rest up some people," Boyd said. "About 14 [people] played a lot [Friday], so we need to give them some rest and get them recovered and ready to go."

UNM is coming off a 2-2 tie in double overtime against Texas-El Paso on Sunday.

The Lobos have beaten Tulsa, Long Island, Utah Valley State and North Dakota State, have lost to No. 24 Oklahoma State and Arizona and have tied Colorado so far this season.

Four Lobos are tied for the team lead in goals with two, including junior forward Hannah Hand who also leads the team in assists (4) and points (8).

Two UNM goalkeepers have seen time in the net this season. Junior Shannon Adragna has started six games for the Lobos, while sophomore Kiani Wong has started two of the three games she's seen action in.

The Lobos had back-to-back winning seasons in 2005 and 2006 and were picked to finish fifth in the Mountain West Conference in this season's preseason poll.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×