Telemarketers raise more than $1 million for University

091407-teleconnection
AND IS YOUR SON ENJOYING HIS COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: Undecided freshman Caitlin Rice works at the Sun Devil Teleconnection office on College and University. The Teleconnection obtains and manages annual contributions for ASU scholarship and other funds.

Telemarketing is a job that often carries stigmas, but Sun Devil Tele-Connections is working to overcome them.

With 75 callers on staff and 35 working on an average night, Sun Devil Tele-Connections raised $1.7 million last year for scholarships and other programs that benefit the students of ASU, said Anna Nelson, the program coordinator for the past two years.

Although it can be tough to raise funds for the University, Nelson said it is worth it in the end.

"It's important and rewarding that every dollar raised helps students in some way," Nelson said.

But SDTC is not going to rest on that total, they have set their sights on an even larger number for this fiscal year — $2 million, Nelson said.

Nelson said Tele-Connections workers call various people connected to ASU, such as alumni, parents of current students, or friends of the University and ask for pledges to support students.

Another main goal of Sun Devil Tele-Connections is to increase participation and relations among alumni, parents and friends of the University, she added.

Every call that takes place begins with an update about what is taking place on campus.

Nelson said SDTC is the main source for reaching out to the more than 100,000 people connected to the University.

Sophomore Aaron Granillo, who has worked at SDTC for one year, enjoys the job because of the contact he gets with alumni.

"Talking to alumni and hearing their stories is my favorite part of the job," he said.

Many students are beneficiaries of the funds raised by SDTC and might not be able to attend ASU if not for the scholarship money they have been granted, Nelson said.

Freshman Tessa Muggeridge is one of those students and just started as an employee at SDTC last week.

"I get more satisfaction out of raising scholarship money because I am on one myself," she said. "Plus, it is easier to get alumni to give money when I tell them I am on scholarship."

Working at SDTC has also provided students with an opportunity to improve their communication and persuasion skills, Nelson said.

"It is not just a random job," Nelson said. "These students use skills that will help them in the working world."

Students who work for SDTC get the chance to take tours of different facilities on campus and also meet the deans of their respective colleges.

Reach the reporter at: drew.dickman@asu.edu.

×