Sun Devils discover star in frosh forward

100407-soccer_volpe
THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS: Freshman Karin Volpe dribbles up field during a game earlier this season.

For most incoming freshman athletes, the difference between the high school and colligate levels is so great it takes time for them to adjust and begin to make an impact.

Don't tell that to Karin Volpe, though.

The freshman forward of the ASU women's soccer team has emerged as one of the Sun Devils' biggest offensive threats in her first year and currently leads the team in goals (4) and points (10).

"She's a lethal finisher," ASU coach Kevin Boyd said. "If she gets the ball and her foot inside the [penalty box] there's an excellent chance it's going in the goal."

Volpe has started all 10 of the Sun Devils' games so far in her freshman campaign and has already tallied her first multi-goal game by scoring twice against Creighton last Sunday.

And she nearly had the hat trick.

Volpe scored a third goal on a header, but it was called back because an offside violation.

Boyd discovered Volpe a year ago at her state cup games in northern California and could not believe she was still on the market.

"I thought she was a couple years away [from college] because why would a player that talented still be available?" Boyd said. "No one had seen her for some reason, or just hadn't taken notice yet."

ASU was Volpe's only Division I offer, and she gladly took it after visiting the campus and meeting the coaching staff.

"I definitely thought [ASU] was a better opportunity for me to play soccer," Volpe said. "[It was a] better school [and] I really liked the campus."

Volpe started playing soccer when she was four and was a natural standout player from the beginning.

"I was always the best one on the team with the little boys and girls," she said. "Well, not the best, but I wasn't afraid like the other girls were."

While attending Clayton Valley High School in Brentwood, Calif., Volpe scored 79 goals and had 23 assists. She was the Bay Valley Athletic League MVP for the 2006-07 season.

Volpe also lettered three times in track and field in high school but said it would be "too much work" to pursue both sports in college.

Boyd credits Volpe's fast start to natural talent and the way she keeps her cool on the field.

"Plain and simple, she's a good soccer player," he said. "I don't think she gets that wound up about it. I believe she just goes out there and does the best for her team and when you combine that with her abilities as a player, she ends up doing a great job."

While it may not show in her statistics, Volpe said she has had to adjust to college soccer just like every other freshman.

"Everything is different," she said. "The intensity, the competition, [there are] better players and everything all-around. I was definitely nervous [when I started], but you can't let your nerves get to you so I just tried to relax and be myself."

Volpe said feeling embraced by her teammates has helped her become a key member of the squad.

"All the girls are really nice and friendly," she said. "The person I think that's helped me the most is probably Canada [junior defender Kylla Sjoman]. She's been a really good friend, I've been able to talk to her about soccer, school, everything."

Volpe has also had to deal with moving away from home and adjusting to the general college lifestyle like any new freshman.

"It's definitely a different atmosphere," she said. "It's a lot crazier, you have to stay on top of things and stay focused. I like it, but I'm still getting used to it."

With lots of time left in Tempe, Volpe said she wants to continue to use her shot to help the team make the playoffs and wants to improve her moves and fitness while becoming a more vocal leader on the field.

Boyd has nothing but high expectations for Volpe and wants her to keep at the pace she's at right now.

"I would like to see her remain consistent; I think that's the hardest thing to do in your freshman year," he said. "I'd like to see her keep giving the effort every day that she's giving now and keep performing at that level.

"If she can do that then she will solidify her style and who she is as a player."

Reach the reporter at gina.mizell@asu.edu

×