Sun Devils' tip of the sword

101707-tennis
ELBOW GREASE: Senior Juan Carlos Rebaza hits the ball during a match earlier this season.

Major transitions, such as going from the country to a metropolis or a school to a university, can typically be tough for the participating party.

But for ASU men's tennis extraordinaire Juan Carlos Rebaza, making the most of new opportunities in foreign places is just a part of his everyday routine.

As a junior on the team last season, Rebaza became its top player and leader, but his ascension, though rapid, was foreshadowed.

Rebaza, 21, was born in Peru and came to America for the first time at age 14.

"The only thing I would say is a major change was the language, but everything else was pretty much the same," Rebaza said. "Things are just bigger here."

But it was Rebaza himself who became bigger upon his arrival in the U.S. and his entrance into college tennis.

His father's employment at the Peruvian embassy in Washington, D.C., was the impetus to enter the new culture, but it's Rebaza's play that has helped him feel more a part of it.

He returned to Peru to finish high school and was the country's national champion in 1998, 1999 and 2002.

Rebaza then attended Tennessee Tech University but said he felt more comfortable when he transferred to ASU following his sophomore year.

But going from school to school wasn't due to a lack of success, as Rebaza was the 2006 Ohio Valley Conference Champion and named his team's most valuable player.

Rather, Rebaza wanted a greater challenge on the court, and he saw that chance in the Pac-10 Conference.

He also said the school environment and his brother's presence made a second transition, to ASU, an easier one to handle.

When he came to Tempe, Rebaza claimed the top position in ASU's singles lineup and was named to the 2007 Pac-10 Men's All Conference team.

"I just didn't expect it to happen that fast," he said. "I had an injury, so when I came here, I expected to be third or fourth, but then I worked really hard to get to number one."

Last season, Rebaza finished 27-12 overall and matched up against the opposing school's top player nearly every match.

As a senior, the only thing that's changed for Rebaza is the expectations he has for himself.

The team's coach, Lou Belken, had a hand in that.

"I was fine being all-Pac-10, but he kept pushing me to a higher level," Rebaza said.

"Playing number one, I'm supposed to be the leader," he said. "I don't want to say it's pressure; I think it's a motivation for me."

Improving as an individual player will aid Rebaza in his hope to become a professional in the near future.

He said he'll play in professional tournaments all summer and return afterward to finish up his degree.

But even as ASU's top player and the 47th best in the nation according to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's preseason rankings, Rebaza said he has plenty to improve on in college before taking the next step.

"I'm working really hard, and we'll see if it pays off," he said. "I want to be an All-American.

"It's my last chance."

Reach the reporter at andrew.pentis@asu.edu.

×