ASU beats UA, misses NCAA Tournament

The ASU women's soccer team ended its season with a win Friday night when it beat Arizona 2-1 in Tucson.

However, that win was not enough to get the Sun Devils (10-9-1, 4-4-1 Pac-10) into the NCAA Tournament despite the fact they were ranked No. 39 in last week's RPI Poll.

UCLA, USC, Stanford and California were the only Pac-10 teams to make the field of 64 that will compete for the NCAA Championship starting Thursday.

But with the win, the Sun Devils remained perfect all-time against the Wildcats (6-13-1, 1-7-1) and now hold a record of 12-0-1 against their intrastate rivals.

"It was a hotly-contested game between two rivals and I was very proud of our team and how they stepped up to the challenge and fought hard the entire game," ASU coach Kevin Boyd said, according to ASU media relations.

The Sun Devils got on the board early when junior defender Kylla Sjoman took a free kick in the fourth minute of play that sophomore midfielder Carly Kallas then headed into the net.

The goal was Kallas' third of the season, while Sjoman's assist was her team-leading seventh of the season.

ASU found the back of the net again in the 19th minute when freshman forward Karin Volpe got a pass from senior midfielder Alissa Oldenkamp inside the goal box and shot it past UA senior goalkeeper Halley Brown.

The goal was Volpe's fifth of the season, which leads the team. Oldenkamp's assist was her third of the season.

The Wildcats cut the Sun Devils' lead in half in the 42nd minute when senior defender Kaity Heath took a corner kick that sophomore midfielder Jacqueline Broussard then put into the back of the net.

Neither team got on the scoreboard after the break and the Sun Devil defense only allowed two shots by the Wildcats in the second half.

The game was pretty even on the stat sheet as the Sun Devils had six shots to the Wildcats' five and had seven corner kicks to UA's five.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×