Rebaza, Bellama lead Sun Devils

111407-tennis_marsh
JUMP SHOT: Sophomore Jack Marsh returns a serve at a tennis match Friday in Tempe.

The ASU men's tennis team wrapped up its Thunderbird Invitational Sunday, placing second in doubles and having one player place third in singles.

Senior Juan Carlos Rebaza and junior T.J. Bellama lost in the doubles final 9-8 (4) one year after winning it outright.

Rebaza and Bellama also represented most of the team's success in singles.

Rebaza advanced to the semifinal round to defeat Arkansas' Christopher Nott 6-4, 6-4 and place third.

Bellama advanced to the singles quarterfinal but lost to the eventual champion, New Mexico State's Gustave Diep 6-0, 7-6.

NMSU's Diep captured the singles title after beating Arkansas' John Peers 6-4, 6-2.

The remaining Sun Devils struggled.

Sophomores Patrick Brogan, Jack Marsh and Murilo Souza all dropped their singles matches in round one Friday to enter the consolation bracket.

"It was satisfactory," said assistant coach Laurie Warder of the team's play. "We would have liked more wins, obviously."

To his credit, Souza battled back to win his first match later in the day and Warder said the entire team showed effort despite the lack of success.

"He's a fighter," Warder said of Souza. "They all are. You learn a lot about your guys in the consolation matches."

ASU's sophomore Matt Brooklyn and junior Wes Miller didn't participate after playing in the Texas Invitational one week prior, while freshman Paul Chappell is battling a elbow injury.

Warder said he hopes Chappell is ready for the spring season.

ASU will begin its 2008 season at home, hosting the Spring Invitational on Jan. 11.

Until then, the Sun Devils' practice time will be limited as they enter the off-season.

"We're a bit limited in what we can do, but we'll still work with the guys individually," said ASU coach Lou Belken earlier in the week. "This is the time of the year when we say, 'this is when you guys have to pick it up and take care of business if you want to be a good team."'

Reach the reporter at andrew.pentis@asu.edu.

×