1. UCLA (14-3, 4-1 Pac-10)

Until proved otherwise, the Bruins are still the class of the Pac-10. Sure, ASU beat them on their home court, but one game does not make a season. They may have lost their air of invincibility but there's no arguing with the program that coach Ben Howland has developed.

2. Cal (15-3, 4-1)

Either ASU or Cal could have filled this spot, but the Golden Bears get the edge by virtue of their Jan. 4 victory over ASU. Cal was picked to finish eighth in the preseason Pac-10 media poll but have shot their way into conference crown contention.

3. ASU (15-3, 4-2)

The Sun Devils solidified their position as one of the Pac-10's best by winning at Pauley Pavilion and look like a lock for the NCAA Tournament this time around. All this despite the struggles of Ty Abbott, who was expected to step up as a third scorer behind James Harden and Jeff Pendergraph. Abbott has been hampered by an injured left thumb in recent weeks.

4. USC (12-5, 3-2)

The Trojans have been the enigma of the Pac-10 this season. How they lost to Oregon State is beyond me. There's no doubting USC's talent – as evidenced by their home sweep of the Arizona schools – but the Trojans can't let games slip through the cracks.

5. Washington (13-4, 4-1)

UW has quietly won 11 of its last 12 and is certainly no slouch. Freshman Isaiah Thomas (no not that one) is tied with UW star forward Jon Brockman as the team's leading scorer at 15.8 points per game.

6. Stanford (12-3, 2-3)

Its 10-0 start may have been misleading, but Stanford looks like a middle of the pack team this season. The Cardinal's victory over Cal last Saturday showed it can hang with quality opponents, though its 30-point loss to ASU earlier this season exploited its weakness in the post.

7. Washington State (11-6, 3-2)

The Cougars may not be the most talented team in the Pac-10, but they have a firm identity under coach Tony Bennett as the best defensive team in the conference. They give up a measly 52.4 points per game and do a great job of controlling the tempo of the game.

8. Arizona (11-7, 2-4)

On paper, there's no way that the Wildcats should be the eighth best team in the conference. But there's an alarming statistic that is severely hampering their chances of going to the Big Dance: their 0-6 record on the road this season.

9. Oregon (6-12, 0-6)

You can't blame Ernie Kent for the Ducks' massive drop off this year. That's what happens when you have a mass exodus of seniors to graduation.

10. Oregon State (6-10, 1-5)

The Beavers have improved this year but still look like the cellar-dwellers of a competitive conference. At least coach Craig Robinson got a lot of face time during the President Barack Obama's inauguration on Tuesday.

Reach the reporter at alex.espinoza@asu.edu.

×