Sun Devils escape Seattle victorious

The ASU women's basketball team bounced back from last week's two home conference losses by beating Washington, 68-62, Thursday night in Seattle.

The win kept the Sun Devils (12-7, 6-2 Pac-10) perfect on the road against conference foes and allowed them to gain a half-game in the standings on both No. 7 Stanford and No. 8 California, who play each other on Saturday.

The Sun Devils and Huskies (7-13, 2-6 Pac-10) went back-and-forth for most of the first half, but ASU built its lead to six points in the final minute on a jumper by junior forward Lauren Lacey and went into intermission leading 26-20.

The Sun Devils stretched their lead to nine in the second half before UW cut it to four points on a jumper by freshman guard Sarah Morton with 6:27 to play.

But ASU answered with a three-pointer by junior guard Briann January on its next possession, which sparked a 7-2 run that pushed the Sun Devils' lead to 55-46 with 4:49 to go.

UW continued to hang around and got within five on a jumper by sophomore guard Sara Mosiman to make the score 55-50 with 3:41 remaining.

But the Sun Devils once again answered with the three-pointer on their next possession, this time by Washington-native, senior guard Reagan Pariseau to give the Sun Devils a 58-50 advantage with 3:14 to play.

The Sun Devils then made 10 free throws down the stretch to secure the win.

Lacey scored 20 points for the Sun Devils and added eight rebounds, while sophomore forward Kayli Murphy had 11 points and six boards.

January also had a balanced game for the Sun Devils with nine points, four rebounds, five assists and two steals.

UW senior forward Andrea Plouffe scored 19 points for the Huskies.

The Sun Devils will next travel to Pullman to play Washington State Saturday afternoon.

Reach the reporter at: gina.mizell@asu.edu.  

×