ASU handled by rival Cardinal

Stanford senior guard Candice Wiggins showed exactly why she's a three-time All-American Saturday.

Wiggins, who was playing in her final regular season home game, scored 23 points against the Sun Devils to move into second place on the Pac-10's all-time career scoring list.

Wiggins and No. 6 Stanford used a huge second half to beat the ASU women's basketball team, 79-57, at Maples Pavilion in Palo Alto, Calif.

The win was the Cardinal's (24-3, 13-2 Pac-10) 12th straight, while the Sun Devils' (16-9, 10-4 Pac-10) dropped their second consecutive conference road game, after starting a perfect 5-0 away from home.

The Sun Devils also dropped to 0-8 against ranked teams this season.

ASU fell behind 13-5 early in the first half, but a 16-6 run capped by a jumper by sophomore guard Dymond Simon gave the Sun Devils a 21-19 lead with 9:30 to go before the break.

The Cardinal then responded with its own 12-5 run at the end of the first half, heading into the locker room up 38-32.

The turning point in the game came early in the second half.

After ASU junior center Sybil Dosty made a layup in the first minute to cut Stanford's lead to four. The Cardinal went on a 12-0 run over the next six minutes to open up a 50-34 lead.

It was smooth sailing for Stanford from that point, as it never relinquished its double-digit lead, and was up by 25 in the final minute of play.

Stanford sophomore guard Rosalyn Gold-Onwude scored 17 points and had five three-pointers — both career highs. Sophomore center Jayne Appel also scored 17 points for the Cardinal and added nine rebounds and six assists.

Simon led ASU with 13 points off the bench, while junior forward Lauren Lacey scored 11. Dosty finished with 10 points and six rebounds for the Sun Devils.

Reach the reporter at gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×