Beck's 'Odelay!' re-issue does justice to artist's classic album, despite flaws

020408-beckdeluxe

"Deluxe Edition."

Those are two words that repulse many a card-carrying music guru.

But should the Jan. 29 release of "Odelay! The Deluxe Edition" fill Beck fans with apocalyptic fear? Geffen records has dolled up the '96 indie-landmark LP with rare B-sides, remixes and previously unpublished tracks for a total of 33 songs and two full discs. There's also fancy new packaging, trippy CD sleeve art and liner notes by famous people. But the record company is also charging more for it — $25.

All the nightmares of an indie rawker realized, right?

Well, not exactly. Not when the old material is so priceless and the added tracks are decent, and one of the "token famous person" liner notes is a gorgeous page of free-form poetry by Thurston Moore.

Most of the new material is found on Disc Two, a combination of rare, era-appropriate Beck selections and "Odelay!" remixes by other artists. Songs such as "Feather in Your Cap" show Beck making an honest effort at lyricism, although others like "Clock" sound like less-inspired versions of "Odelay!" tunes.

The three remixes, in particular, are lackluster. U.N.K.L.E.'s 12-minute trip-hop rendition of "Where It's At" is at least interesting, but both attempts on "Devil's Haircut" are maddening, almost to heresy. The subsequent collection of B-sides is a more pleasurable experience, at least. Disc Two still offers a diversity of quality tracks, from the sunny "Electric Music and the Summer People" to the mechanical and ambiguous ".000.000."

Despite the novelty of this B-side indie extravaganza, Disc One remains the stronger in the set. Particularly impressive is previously unreleased "Inferno," a seven-minute mix-tape of classically trained eccentricity. Intelligent distortion and frenzied drum samples provide a solid groundwork while Beck alternates echoed chorus, rock riffs and twangy Southern guitar over top, creating a long but constantly engaging track.

Also on this disc are two brand-new songs, along with all 14 of "Odelay!'s" original tracks. To a newcomer of Beck's discography, these signature tunes may be motivation enough to purchase the whole Deluxe Edition. Titles like "A New Pollution," "Novacane," and "High 5 (Rock the Catskills)" have endured the nearly impossible test of indie time. When put in the musical context of the past 12 years, owning hard copies of these quirk-rock titans is almost mandatory.

Overall, this package is a decent effort to capture the experimental and scattered feel of Beck's classic LP and expand upon it with additional materials. Although not all the new tracks pack the creative "oomph" of the original "Odelay!," there are also some decadent, untasted morsels of musical goodness. The Deluxe Edition has songs that are flat-out fun to listen to.

But only a zealous Beck fan may be willing to put up the cash to hear them.

Reach the reporter at: trabens@asu.edu.

×