Sun Devils' promising season starts with many questions

baseball_2_web
PEP TALK: The ASU baseball team gathers at the start of a practice earlier this season.

ASU baseball's manager Pat Murphy wants you to think his reigning Pac-10 champs don't merit its No. 1 ranking.

He will tell you how many inexperienced starters he has — five — and how many experienced pitchers he has — just two.

The USA Today Coaches poll, among others, seemed to think differently as it handed out its preseason votes of confidence.

Murphy, entering his 14th season in Tempe, thinks the perception should be just the opposite.

"This club is decimated right now," Murphy offered. "You can call us number one if you like. I don't blame them for rating us number one."

One season after finishing fifth at Omaha's College World Series and with a 49-15 overall record, ASU is the prizefighter hoping for another title shot.

In a Pac-10 Conference chalk-full of top teams, Murphy does have reason for worry. UCLA, UA, and Oregon State all return with talented rosters and similar hopes.

"We're the least experienced team returning in the Pac-10," he said.

And during the offseason, the Sun Devils attempted to reload.

The result is 18 newcomers, including two freshmen expected to contribute immediately in pitcher Seth Blair and outfielder Matt Newman, plus a group of transfers expected to do the same.

Returning juniors Ike Davis, Brett Wallace, Petey Paramore and Kiel Roling will be depended on heavily from the plate until their younger teammates get acquainted to Pac-10 pitching.

Davis, who doubles as a lefty reliever, is coming off of wrist surgery.

"It does not hurt to swing anymore," he said with a smile.

Davis is making the switch from the outfield to first base. Vacating that spot is the All-American Wallace, who will man the hot corner and jokes that he is wearing out his coaches during infield practice.

"It's a fun challenge," Wallace said. "Everyone is always going to doubt anything I do. It's never going to be perfect, but you keep going."

Few will doubt his performance at the plate. Wallace hit .404 with 16 home runs and 78 runs batted in, earning him the Pac-10 Triple Crown and Player of the Year during the 2007 campaign.

College baseball rosters experience glaring turnovers annually, as players turn professional or transfer to new programs and ASU is no different. Most notably missing is the middle infield duo of Andrew Romine and Eric Sogard, who paired as offensive catalysts atop a lineup that hit .345 as a team.

Junior transfer Jake Elmore and sophomore Raoul Torrez, a Phoenix Brophy Prep product, will split time at second base in the early going.

Junior transfer Marcel Champagnie knew he had a shot to start at shortstop and arrived early by way of Kaskaskia Junior College in Illinois.

"He works really hard, and he's going to get the first shot at it," Murphy said.

Champagnie may have to fight just as hard to keep his post.

"We're going to go with that until [sophomore Mike] Leake emerges as a starting shortstop," Murphy said.

"Leake may just purposely throw up nothing [on the mound] and say 'I don't know what's wrong,' so he can play short," Murphy joked.

Meanwhile, Leake will reside atop the starting rotation after success came so easy during his freshman season in Tempe, going 13-2 with a 3.69 ERA.

"I would like to repeat it and pick up where I was last year," Leake said. "After a summer, you go back a step. Then you have to regain that confidence."

The only pitcher to throw more innings than Leake in 2007 was then-junior Josh Satow (133.2 innings). The lefty also went 13-2 in 2007, but he decided to return after being selected in 28th round by the Seattle Mariners in the MLB draft.

"Every kid wants to get drafted," Satow said. "I figure pro ball will be there next year, but my degree and the [College] World Series won't."

With more mid-week games and the void left by Brian Flores, who did opt for MLB over a senior season, ASU will need more arms than usual.

"I see some guys who are capable, but it's too early to tell," Murphy said.

Junior transfer Jason Franzblau (Winthrop) and Blair should fill the third and fourth slots in the rotation.

The Sun Devils went into last season with one returning starting pitcher (Satow), and ended up as favorites in Omaha.

"This is college baseball, they are going to take their lumps," Murphy said of younger pitchers. "But if you don't have depth, you're walking on thin ice."

And Murphy likely won't mind if that is the perception of ASU when a second chance at Omaha arrives in June, so long as the Sun Devils don't fall through in 2008.

Reach the reporter at: apentis@asu.edu.

For more ASU baseball coverage, visit thesundevilsweetspot.blogspot.com

×