ASU offers scholarships to D.C. interns

Students who have always dreamed of working in Washington, D.C., but couldn't foot the bill can now get a little help from ASU.

The University is offering scholarship opportunities for students who have been accepted to internship programs at the Washington Center in D.C.

The Washington Center, a nationwide program, is the largest provider of academic internships, according to its Web site. The center allows students who are at least sophomores to participate in a variety of semester-long internships. Students can intern in fields including business, communications and politics.

Students interested in almost any major can find an internship at the Washington Center, said William Simmons, ASU's liaison with the center and an assistant professor at the West campus.

"There's just wonderful placement opportunity for any major," he said.

However, Simmons said students are expected to pay for housing and program fees, which can add up to about $8,000.

But Simmons said if students receive financial assistance for their Washington Center internships, those expenses can be lessened.

Simmons recently worked with the Office of Student Engagement at the West campus to set up a scholarship fund where as many as 10 students can receive $5,000 in scholarships for the program.

ASU financial aid can also be applied to the program, Simmons added. Between the scholarship fund and financial aid, he said, the cost becomes more reasonable for students.

Chris Morris, a communication studies senior graduating in December, was one of the ASU students accepted into the program.

He said he thinks The Washington Center program will be a beneficial experience for him because it will provide first-hand experience in Washington, D.C.

But Morris said he isn't sure how he is going to pay for the experience.

"I have been interested in international relations and how we communicate across cultural boundaries since high school, but never knew how I could make the [financial] leap to Washington, D.C.," he said.

Morris applied this semester for ASU's new scholarship program.

"I would not be able to go without it," he said. "After you consider [all of the expenses], it all adds up fast. But I have done everything within my power to get it taken care of."

The deadline for scholarship applications is May 1, Simmons said.

"ASU students don't go to Washington, D.C., as much as they should, and maybe it's because of the distance," he said. "But this scholarship program will make it available."

Reach the reporter at: charlsy.panzino@asu.edu.

×