Giving young adults 'A Night to Remember'

041008-prom_web
PROM PERFECT: Political science senior Nora Dillon shows off a few of the nearly 100 prom dresses Wednesday that her honor society, Gamma Beta Phi, has collected by donation for disadvantaged youth.

Political science senior Nora Dillon's apartment is full of dresses.

But her cluttered room isn't the result of a shopping spree. As part of the honors service organization Gamma Beta Phi, she has been working to give underprivileged youths a chance at a high school tradition.

The vice president of Gamma Beta Phi is reliving her prom experience and simultaneously helping more than 100 young adults enjoy their own.

Gamma Beta Phi has been raising money for the Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development to throw a prom — themed "A Night to Remember" — for young adults who wouldn't normally have the opportunity.

For 35 years, the Tumbleweed Center has been helping young people ages 12 to 22 who face pregnancy, parenting, homelessness and other risks.

Meghan McGilvra, a 2006 ASU social work alumna, has been working with the center for five years and said the opportunity means a lot to the center's clients.

"It's going to be an incredibly great experience for them and one that they wouldn't have had the opportunity to have," McGilvra said, adding that many of the people benefiting from this event have either dropped out of high school to work, or have received GEDs without a prom.

"[Some] weren't around to even be invited to go to a prom," she said. "It's a regret that we're able to take away from them."

Tumbleweed's youth advisory board, a group of current and former clients of the center, planned the event, but McGilvra, who is an adviser to the board, said they are grateful for Gamma Beta Phi's assistance.

"It was nice that they worked hand-in-hand fundraising money for it," she said.

The center hosted a similar prom two years ago, said McGilvra, but this is the first time Gamma Beta Phi has been involved.

"It was wonderful, an event of a lifetime," said Dick Geasland, Tumbleweed's executive director.

Geasland said the young adults around the center "have a buzz going" in anticipation of this year's event, which will be held May 17.

"They know there's going to be a party, and it's going to be for them," Geasland said.

Dillon said she has also seen a lot of excitement from the young people at the center.

"One girl had just had a baby, and she's very enthusiastic about the prom," Dillon said. "She's someone who wouldn't get to have a prom if it wasn't for this."

The organizations have secured the third floor of the Arizona Science Center to host the prom but are asking for help from the community for decorations, lights and a disc jockey that would be willing to donate time, said Dillon.

"We're dependent on the help of others," she said, and added that the teens at the center are doing much of the fundraising themselves with events like car washes.

Last week, Gamma Beta Phi held a prom-dress drive on campus and collected more than 50 dresses. The organization is willing to pick up any other donations, including tuxedos, said Dillon. All those wishing to donate can contact her at nora.dillon@asu.edu.

"It's awesome to see so many people help us out," Dillon said. "You can see the people who really loved their high school experience because they totally go all out. It reminds people of the experience they had and they can make someone else have that feeling."

Reach the reporter at: indra.ekmanis@asu.edu.

×