Sun Devils to play host to defending national champs

041808-baseball_davis_web
SUNDAY FUNDAY: See Ike Davis and the Sun Devils play a three-game series against the Oregon State Beavers this weekend at Packard Stadium.

At this time last season, the ASU baseball team was in the midst of a 12-game win streak and weeks away from sweeping Oregon State in Corvallis. But the Sun Devils were also just a month away from losing in the College World Series to OSU, which eventually won its second consecutive title.

This season ASU is on the fritz, losing three of its last five games as the road to Omaha only steepens. The annual challenge continues Friday as No. 3 ASU (30-4, 6-3 Pac-10) hosts OSU (16-12, 4-5 Pac-10) in Tempe.

History has shown that these games — such as when ASU "laid an egg" against WSU last week — could all be meaningless.

The Beavers went 10-14 in the conference last season before 10 straight victories gave them their second national title in as many seasons.

"This league is tough," said coach Pat Murphy. "It tells you how good our conference is."

And though their Pac-10 record might indicate otherwise, as it did in 2007, Murphy said that the Beavers are as dangerous as ever.

"They're more talented," Murphy said. "They've used their postseason runs for great recruiting."

The Sun Devils will send sophomore Mike Leake and senior Josh Satow to the mound this weekend.

ASU could start senior Dustin Brader Sunday, as the team's third starter role has remained volatile all season.

"I wish someone would step up," Murphy said. "I don't think we've had a good start out of No. 3."

Like ASU, the Beavers have struggled to find a third starting pitcher to back up sophomore Jorge Reyes and senior Mike Stutes.

"Their numbers this year don't reflect how good they are," Murphy said of the two pitchers.

Reyes (2-1), who emerged in the Beavers' title run a season ago, has saved his best stuff for Pac-10 opponents, sporting a 1.06 ERA against his conference foes in three starts.

Stutes has struggled in his eight starts, going 2-4 with a 5.40 ERA.

What's not to like about Ike?

Murphy has seen many stars come and go during his tenure at ASU, and junior first baseman and pitcher Ike Davis is among them.

Davis is batting .423 with 14 home runs and 57 RBIs — good enough for the team's lead in each category.

Murphy credits Davis' improved maturity.

Davis has also been the de facto closer since sophomore Jason Jarvis was ruled ineligible for the season. He is 4-0 on the mound with three saves and a 1.12 ERA.

Reach the reporter at: apentis@asu.edu.

×