Police Beat

Tempe police reported the following incident Friday:

• Six suspects were arrested early Friday morning on suspicion of burglary on the 900 block of South Apache Road, police reported.

The six young men were seen jumping a construction fence and removing several bundles of copper wire estimated to be worth $750, police reported.

The men were arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, police reported.

Tempe police reported the following incident Thursday:

• A 54-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Thursday on suspicion of theft on the 13000 block of South 48th Street in Phoenix, police reported.

The suspect had stolen more than $9,050 while working over the past nine months at a Shell gas station at the 800 block of South Rural Road, police reported.

The man would not admit to stealing any money but offered to pay the losses that occurred on his shift, police reported.

Investigation also revealed that losses only occurred during the suspect’s shift; the man was arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, police reported.

Tempe police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• A 27-year-old Tempe woman was arrested Wednesday afternoon on suspicion of shoplifting, resisting arrest and a prior warrant at Arizona Mills Mall, police reported.

The woman was caught stealing a pair of $35 Reebok shoes from J.C. Penny by placing them in her purse while shopping with her 6-year-old daughter at, police reported.

When police arrived the woman was combative and intoxicated and had to be hobbled before being arrested, transported, and booked into Tempe City Jail, police reported.

• A 28-year-old Mesa man was arrested Wednesday morning on suspicion of aggravated assault at Arizona Mills Mall, police reported.

The suspect used his vehicle to pull forward and then back up rapidly before stopping within a foot of the victim’s front fender, police reported.

After two such incidents the victim called police and jumped into the suspect’s vehicle to detain the man until police arrived, police reported.

The suspect was arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, police reported.

Tempe police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 44-year-old Tempe man was arrested early Tuesday morning on suspicion of aggravated assault on an officer and obstruction of a public thoroughfare on the southeast corner of University and Hardy Drives, police reported.

The man was blocking the road when an officer requested that he move, but the man refused, police reported.

The man took a swing at the officer and was consequently detained then arrested, transported and booked at Tempe City Jail, police reported.

• A 35-year-old Tempe man was arrested Tuesday evening on suspicion of shoplifting, consuming alcohol in public and aggravated assault on an officer on the 1100 block of East Broadway Road, police reported.

The man was first arrested for shoplifting and consuming alcohol in public and was placed into the back of a police car where he proceeded to spit through the divider onto a police officer, police reported.

The man was released on the prior two charges only to be re-arrested by officers on suspicion of aggravated assault, police reported.

Tempe police reported the following incident Monday:

• A 24-year-old Tempe woman was arrested Monday evening on suspicion of assault, shoplifting and a prior warrant at the 5900 block of South Rural Road, police reported. The woman was apprehended by store security after stealing $84.43 in cosmetics from the Albertsons grocery store, police reported.

The suspect hit the store’s security officer and ran north on Rural Road, then ran through neighborhood streets and alleys as the Albertsons security officer followed her, police reported.

The woman was eventually found hiding in a dumpster where she was immediately arrested, transported and booked into Tempe City Jail, police reported.

Tempe police reported the following incident on Sunday, July 13:

• A 29-year-old Mesa man was arrested early Sunday morning on suspicion of possession of marijuana, obstructing a public thoroughfare and two prior warrants on the 500 block of South Mill Avenue, police reported.

The man crossed Mill Avenue without using a crosswalk, causing north and southbound traffic to stop for him, police reported.

The suspect was detained by police and found to have marijuana on his person; he was arrested, transported, and booked at Tempe City Jail, police reported.

Tempe police reported the following incidents on Saturday, July 12:

• A 24-year-old Mesa man was arrested Saturday morning on suspicion of armed robbery and trespassing on the 1600 block of East Hudson Drive, police reported.

The suspect, along with an unidentified suspect, used a handgun to rob the victim of $7, police reported.

The suspect demanded the victim’s cell phone and after receiving it, hit the victim hard enough to dislodge a tooth before fleeing down the street on foot, police reported.

Police apprehended the suspect with the gun but were unable to catch the unidentified suspect, police reported.

• A 23-year-old Tempe man was arrested Saturday morning on suspicion of burglary, trespassing and possession of marijuana on the 1100 block of Lemon Street, police reported.

The suspect forced entry into an apartment by prying open the window and after entering the apartment damaged furniture and a laptop and removed items, police reported.

The man was detained by police and found to have prescription drugs and marijuana on his person, police said. The man was arrested, transported and booked at Tempe City Jail, police reported.

Reports compiled by Deanna Dent. Reach the reporter at deanna.dent@asu.edu.

×