ASU opens Pac-10 play at home

091708_volleyball_1_mp_web_0
Senior outside hitter Margie Giordano plays a forearm pass during practice at Wells Fargo Arena earlier this season. (Matt Pavelek/The State Press)

Offensive production will be the key for the ASU volleyball team (9-4) this weekend with the start of Pac-10 Conference play.

The offense has been strengthened by dominating performances from junior setter Marina Mercer and sophomore outside hitter Sarah Reaves.

Mercer has totaled 548 assists, averaging 10.96 assists per set to which ranks junior third in the Pac-10.

Reaves leads the conference with 216 kills and an average a 4.5 per set.

The Sun Devils will need both Mercer and Reaves to be at their best this weekend as ASU hosts both the University of Washington and Washington State University.

UW enters the weekend ranked No. 9 in the country and boasts a 9-1 record.

The Huskies are led by junior outside hitter Jill Collymore and senior middle blocker Jessica Swarbrick. Collymore currently leads the conference with 23 aces and Swarbrick was a second team All-American last season.

UW has claimed the last 11 games from the Sun Devils, which have not beaten the Huskies since October 2002.

WSU will enter conference play with a 7-4 record and will visit UA Friday before traveling to play ASU Saturday.

The Sun Devils lead the overall series 25-20 and have won the last five games against the Cougars.

ASU lost its previous two games to Western Kentucky and No. 21 Michigan in the last weekend’s invitational to snap its six-game winning streak. The Sun Devils finished the tournament with a 1-2 record.

Prior to the Michigan Invitational the Sun Devils had been exceptional, capturing the Sheraton Classic and the Sheraton Invitational, while placing second in the Portland Nike Invitational.

Senior outside hitter Margie Giordano will be honored before Friday’s game for her recent accomplishments, which include 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs in her career. Giordano is only the eighth player in school history to accomplish the feat.

Reach the reporter at Ryan.g.Campbell@asu.edu.

×