The number of true freshmen that will suit up for the ASU football team this season just got bigger.

ASU coach Dennis Erickson said Wednesday that he will move freshman Lawrence Guy from defensive end to defensive tackle.

Erickson said that switch allows freshman defensive end Jamaar Jarrett to slide into Guy’s place and run with the second-team defense.

Guy recorded three tackles from the defensive-end position last week against NAU, while Jarrett was expected to redshirt this season.

Guy played defensive end in high school, but was recruited mostly as a tackle.

The pair of freshman practiced at their new positions on Tuesday, but Erickson said he did not want to make a final decision about the switch until seeing the players in their new roles two days in a row.

Injuries: Top players in and out of practice Senior wide receiver Michael Jones had an MRI Wednesday that revealed a slightly sprained Achilles’ tendon.

Jones did not participate in team drills during Wednesday’s practice, but Erickson said he is probable for Saturday’s game against Stanford.

“I would be surprised if he didn’t play,” Erickson said. “It was kind of a freak deal, but he ran around today.”

Senior running back Keegan Herring remained out of practice Wednesday with a hamstring injury, and Erickson said his availability on Saturday will be determined closer to game time.

Junior running back Shaun DeWitty practiced for the second straight day on Wednesday. Erickson said DeWitty could see action Saturday if his hamstring continues to improve.

“It looked like he was pretty close to 100 percent,” Erickson said. “If he is, we’ll use him in certain situations [on Saturday].”

Junior linebacker Mike Nixon sat out Wednesday’s practice because of illness.

Erickson said Nixon was held out because of a fever but that he is expected to play Saturday.

Senior wide receiver Nate Kimbrough returned to practice Wednesday after spraining his ankle against NAU.

Reach the reporter at gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×