Man arrested in connection with fatal stabbing

Tempe police arrested a man Friday in connection with the fatal stabbing of a 22-year-old ASU senior in downtown Tempe early Friday morning.

Dan Ray Gukeisen, 37, suspected of stabbing business undergraduate Garrett Hohn, was arrested on charges of second-degree murder, Sgt. Scott Smith of Tempe Police said Sunday.

Police believe Gukeisen stabbed Hohn after a verbal argument escalated into violence about 2 a.m. Friday, Scott said.

Hohn and a 21-year-old friend were walking home from the Mill Avenue District on the 400 block of West First Street when the argument occurred.

Scott said police don’t believe Gukeisen and Hohn knew each other previously. Investigators are currently trying to determine what caused the argument.

Hohn’s friend and citizens passing by administered first aid until Tempe police and fire arrived to transport him to a local hospital. The friend was not injured.

Hohn was pronounced dead in the hospital at 2:46 a.m., police reported.

In a search of Gukeisen’s home, items believed to be evidence were found, Scott said.

Later, after conducting interviews, the totality of everything led police to arrest Gukeisen, Scott said.

Reach the reporter at tessa.muggeridge@asu.edu.

×